Dallas Texas


Advertisement
Published: June 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Arrived at my sisters in Nashville yesterday, 1 June. We originally planned to arrive in Nashville today, 2 June, but we wanted to get off the road due to the threat of severe thunderstorms and possible tornadoes in Western and Central Tennessee. Thankfully we took a more southern route this year in order to visit my brother-in-law in Dallas for a few days so we missed all the storms in Oklahoma. This years trip hasn't gone quite as smoothly as last years trip did. It started on our first day in Phoenix when we plugged the lights and brakes for the car into the motorhome. We were having problems getting a good connection which resulted in issues with the brakes between the car and motorhome. After applying a little electrical grease to both ends of the cable, we were able to get a good connection and head out after about an hours delay. Spent Monday night in Las Cruces New Mexico about 50 miles north of El Paso Texas. Tuesday we headed out with the intent of making it to Midland, Odessa, Texas that night. Late in the day we pulled off the highway to purchase fuel but the distance between the pumps and the station was insufficient for us to pull in so we needed to turn around and get back onto the highway. When we attempted to turn around we snapped the electrical cable which meant we no longer had brakes or lights in the car. We drove about 5 miles to Sweetwater Texas where we found a love's truck stop. After fueling the motorhome we were talking to a truck driver who informed us of an RV center about a mile down the highway that might have a replacement cable we could purchase. Stayed the night at the truck stop and drove to the RV center the next morning. They didn't have a replacement cable but they were able to splice the one that I snapped back together. However, when we plugged in the cable, we only had running lights and the right turn signal working on the car. No left turn signal, brake lights, brakes or emergency flashers. We found that when the cable snapped it blew out the converter between the motorhome and the hitch. Since the RV center didn't have that part either, we decided to head out for Dallas since we knew we could get everything repaired there. Arrived at Camping World in Fort Worth mid afternoon and they were able to get us right in for repairs. We purchased a new cable and they replaced the converter on the motorhome. Spent Wednesday night and Thursday night in Dallas visiting with my brother-in-law. David has worked for AT&T in New Haven Connecticut for quite some time. The company recently moved his department to Dallas and since he is so close to retirement, he was forced to move with the company. Sally and I were both impressed with how clean Dallas is and how friendly the people are. Took my brother-in-law to Texas land & Cattle for a steak dinner our first night in Dallas. Excellent steaks!!. When we pulled out of Dallas yesterday, we discovered that there is still an issue with the converter and the brakes in the car are not working in conjunction with the brakes on the motorhome. Plan to have it fixed while in Nashville before we leave on Saturday, 8 June. Planning a tour of the Gaylord Opry Hotel this week. Have tickets for the Grand Old Opry this Friday night. Hopefully everything will go much smoother after this week!!

Advertisement



5th June 2013

bigger in Texas
Looks Like the everything is better in texas, even electrical problems. I hope you get it fixed properly soon

Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.2361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb