Floods in Nashville - Dangerous Flood Levels


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

KOA RV Park NashvilleKOA RV Park NashvilleKOA RV Park Nashville

WE were next to this site until we moved this AM when the water started coming up - and it came up very quickly.

RV Travels



Flooded in Nashville - Dangerous Record Flooding



Remember, we tried to outrun the weather? It caught us. Yesterday was not too bad, it was raining, and raining hard, we still completed our Gray Line tour of Nashville, which was great and enjoyed the Grand Ole Opry last night - what a rip, that was more fun than I imagined. An old time radio show, commercials and all and some great singing and dancing.

When we got back to our RV site last night, it was still raining. We are (were) close to the Cumberland River and stayed up late watching the weather channel because of the tornado threat. Finally, it looked as if it would be ok, so we went to bed - it was about midnight.

This morning, when we woke up water was creeping slowly up the campground to our west so we watched it about two hours and then decided it would be wise to move. Paul went up and got a new site, 8 feet higher. Thank goodness we moved when we did because not two hours after we moved the whole campground, except the high ground where we are now,
KOA RV Park NashvilleKOA RV Park NashvilleKOA RV Park Nashville

This BRand New Class B pulled onto the grass coming out of the site, got stuck and no one could get it out in time. Water came up very quickly.
was under water. See the photos.

Some of the folks who have fifth wheels and had them towed in had no way to pull them out and so were stuck in the water. A brand new Class B, pulled off the pavement when he was trying to move and got stuck up to hubs in mud and no one could get them out. Some of the folks were weekenders and don’t even know that they are now under water. We were talking to the manager and she told us that where we are on the river there is a high cliff and she can't believe that the river has come up and over that high bank. No one has seen it this high and still rising.

It is very bad here in Nashville, most roads closed at present, but rain is finally slowing down 3:30 pm. Many folks have lost their homes, cars, businesses - the highest flood levels ever I think. Even Southwest has cancelled all their incoming and outgoing flights. We will try to get out tomorrow, but not sure we will be able to. We are presently dry and hope water doesn’t rise any higher.
KOA RV Park NashvilleKOA RV Park NashvilleKOA RV Park Nashville

Camping CAbins
We do have our swimming suits however.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

KOA RV Park  - NashvilleKOA RV Park  - Nashville
KOA RV Park - Nashville

This is near where our site was yesterday. The river has come up and almost over these fifth whells.
KOA RV Park NashvilleKOA RV Park Nashville
KOA RV Park Nashville

You can see a guy wading out with some of his belongings.


3rd May 2010

Dangerous Floods!
I have seen numerous comments on other websites about this not being a story like Hurrican Katrina. How can anybody say something like that, for the love of God! People have lost their homes, cars, and businesses. If that is not a story then I don't know what is! Just think, what is those people lost their homes, cars, and businesses. Wouldn't that be a story? Yes, it would be. You people need to wake up and respect other people! I am a true Tennessean, and if you do not respect me or my home, then don't read about it! Be Blessed!
3rd May 2010

My poor Cougar
My wife and I were spending a weekend without our children (a 6 year old and a 6 month old) at the KOA this weekend. Enjoying our last morning of peace before packing up and heading home we decided to turn off our cells and sleep in. We awoke at around 10:00 am to find the water rising fast. Our neighbor, the brown motor home pictured, tried to leave only to get stuck. There was only 6 inches or so around the immediate area of our rig and it already smelled of sewage. We packed our electronics and valuables into are tow vehicle. We debated whether or not to take the time to move our rig. But based on our neighbors expirience decided to leave it where it was and hurry to our children, who where with my in-laws an hour south, before thing got worst and we'd be cut from them. And so it is that our beloved Keystone Cougar graces pictures six and ten in this blog. Oh well we are home safe with our kids. Tomorrow we will call our insurance.
3rd May 2010

Good move!
Glad you got out before the water got you!
5th May 2010

We were there!
We were right there in the same mess. After we pulled our motorhome and car to higher ground, my husband took the car out to see how bad it really was. It was a mess, but he found a parking lot where we could detour the water and get to I 40. Luckily we made it out. Just as we got on I 40 they closed the other lane because a car had hydroplaned and ended up front first into the ditch. All the time my husband was praying, "Lord, please help us out of this." And, HE did!
6th May 2010

I've booked Kabin R4
Arriving 7 June for a week.. What is the outlook on being operational by that time?
7th May 2010

I doubt it
I would seriously doubt if they will be up and running, so you should sure check before you go.
7th May 2010

Thank Goodness
I am horrified at the damage done in Nashville, such a beautiful city.
7th May 2010

Me too Shadow Man
What a shame for those folks who didn't
7th May 2010

So Sorry
I am so sorry you got caught like that. Paul and I were saying, if we had waited just a couple more hours it would have been too late to get out of that upper camp-ground, we moved once and then had to go through the fence at the back of that restuarant. Nashville is so beautiful, it was a horrible thing to witness and I'm so sorry about your rig.
7th May 2010

It is terrible
I was just amazed and how great a city Nashville is. We were enjoying every minute of our visit. I just can't believe how fast that water came up and how awful that was for everyone there. But Nashville will recover for sure - what great spirit everyone has. And, we will be back to visit again.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb