The best of times the worst of times in Memphis


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
May 12th 2011
Published: May 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

To all who have called or written, thank you for your kind and concerned thoughts. I am fine. I live in what is called Midtown- about a 5 minute drive and up a 60 - 75 foot bluff from the mighty Mississippi. The river is very impressive as it spreads miles and miles into Arkansas and the town of West Memphis ( no connection to us). There has been serious flooding further north and south in basically any low lying areas. Those who live near several smaller rivers have also had problems as they have all overflowed their banks. The major concern is the contaminated water that will be the residue after the waters subside- oh, and snakes, lots and lots of snakes.

But here is some good news- the Memphis Grizzlies- our up to now really, really pathetic pro basketball team- went on a winning streak and got into the playoffs giving the entire city something to cheer about. But the biggest and most joyous news of all is that President Obama is coming next week to deliver the graduation address at the Booker T. Washington high school. This school is in one of the roughest and poorest parts of the city. If any of you saw the movie The Blindside the housing project depicted in the film feeds kids into this high school. That housing project is being torn down and they started to do the demolition in the middle of the year making it necessary for every student to either go to a new school or travel to Booker T. Most chose to travel sometimes incurring a 1 - 2 hour commute each way just to stay at their school. It is 98% African -American with enough sad and tragic stories to make 100 movies. But due to the dedicated teachers and administrators who work in the Memphis City Schools, in two years they have turned it around to be a successful school. The entire city got behind the campaign to bring Pres. Obama here. Can you imagine the excitement and pride those kids are felling right now?

So let's focus on the good news here.....
Carolyn ( gunga)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb