Memphis


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
June 3rd 2010
Published: June 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We finally arrived in Memphis, Tennessee and got to the Elvis Presley Heartbreak Hotel just before 11pm. After having to lodge a claim at the American Airlines office as both Marika’s cases were damaged, then missing the last shuttle at 10pm, we got a taxi. Rather tired, annoyed about delayed and changed lights and hungry from missing dinner, we showered and hit the sack But through all the hassles Marika was beaming with excitement and grinning from ear to ear. She did fall asleep a little sad though, shedding a tear at the tragic loss of such a magnificent artist, Elvis Aaron Presley, at such an early age.

We were up early in the morning so as not to miss a moment of Graceland time. The gates opened at 9am and we were reading and waiting. We walked from our hotel to Graceland which is directly behind, got our tickets, had the obligatory photo shot in front to pretend Graceland gates and lined up for the bus that would take us into Graceland. She was so excited. Unable to speak coherently or focus on taking photos. So I stepped in as the officer photographer for Marika and her Graceland experience. Nearly 200 photos was obviously not enough as she returned to Graceland a second time later that day with out me to get a few more shots and some video footage.

We walked through Graceland with our head sets on, not that Marika could comprehend the commentary, she was truly discombobulated by the experience. The house was much smaller than I expected, but I guess for it’s time in the 60’s it would have been very extravagant. The interior design was, well, very rock star, over the top, and hideous. The garden and grounds were nice, horses, pool, fountains. And then there was the graves of Elvis, his mum, dad and brother. Yes he had a twin brother who died at birth. Just one of many Elvis facts I’m now proud to know.

After Graceland we made our way through many museums, displays and gift shop after gift shop. For a more detailed description please see Marika, I zoned out. We found a Diner and I tried a grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich, and it was very yummy. Three hours was my limit and I went back to the hotel to chillax by the pool. Marika eventually returned, weighed down with Elvis paraphernalia. Thongs, PJ’s, mouse mat and tee shirt. That was the stuff she showed me, I’m sure there is loads more.

We freshened up then got on the hotel shuttle bus down town to Beale Street. We soon found a beer garden with a blues band and sat our selves down. This is when I discovered Blue Moon beer. A nice drop and I’ve continued to drink a lot of it. I bought the CD of the band that was playing and was then led up to the stage for a chat, autograph and photo. After a couple of beers this was a lot of fun. We then made our way to BB King’s Club to listen to some more bands and have some dinner. This is where I discovered ribs. I can’t believe I’ve never eaten them before. The BBQ sauce was a bit sweet, but they were yummy and messy to eat. Great fun. They came with fried pickles which are worth trying, but I wouldn’t order them again. Of course I was washing the ribs down with another couple of Blue Moons. After dinner and seeing a couple of bands in BB King’s, we walked along Beale Street, wandering into more gift shops and chatting with the local police. They were Memphis boys through and through. One had never left Memphis, another only been to Vegas once and none of them had been to New York. We chatted about the differences in gun laws, police presence on the streets and the perfect sunny weather of Perth. Then back on to the shuttle at 10:30pm to go back to the hotel for a good nights sleep as there was more Elvising to do the next day.

Wednesday morning, after breakfast, we headed to Sun Studios which is where Elvis among a lot of other great musicians started out. Our tour guide was very enthusiastic and she made the hour tour fun. I found it interesting, but wasn’t moved to the extent as Marika was of course. And once again, if you would like a more in depth, blow by blow description of the tour of Sun Studio please see Marika.

Following the Sun Studio tour was our first and hopefully only visit to Wal-Mart. We needed to buy Marika a new suitcase as American Airlines had not handled hers in the most delicate way and ripped of the bars that run down the back where the telescopic handles are stored. If we had more time I could have enjoyed hours of entertainment of America’s and provided a plethora of photos of inappropriately dressed and behaved people.

Suitcase purchased. Next stop the Mississippi River. We boarded a Paddle Boat a 90 minute cruise along the river, and even ventured in to Arkansas waters. It was a nice way to spend a very hot still afternoon. It was around 38 degrees and the coolness of the water was nice relief. We were finished the cruise at 4pm and walked towards Beale Street. We found some shops and went in just for the air-conditioning. Then to our surprise we found a chocolate shop that had a coffee machine. We were delighted, chocolate and coffee. We sat down and savoured the coffee, which wasn’t too bad. We hadn’t had any coffee since leaving Toronto so it had been a few days. Redbull have been keeping me going.

After a wander a little further down Beale Street was came across a blues band playing in the park. There was only about 20 people sat on park benches watching. We pulled up a seat on a bench, the only white women there, but not feeling too out of place. We made of point of putting some notes in the tip jar on the stage to win some brownie points. Then when asked where we were from, they were delighted as we were so far from home. They all love our accents and are amazed at the amount of flying time to get any where from Australia. After about an hour soaking up the sun and music we went to find some where to eat dinner. We were lured in to a bar that claimed to have a lot of Elvis memorabilia, of course that won Marika over. They had Blue Moon on tap so I was happy. And you can take your drinks out on to Beale Street, they have a special liquor licence. The 3 or 4 blocks of Beale Street are always blocked off, only open to service and delivery vehicles. But on Wednesday nights it is Biker night and the streets are lined from top to bottom with bikes of all sizes and shapes. It was a lot busier than the night before, hard to move along the paths easily, but apparently nothing compared to the weekends.

We headed back to the Heartbreak Hotel for our last night. Marika packed her new suitcase, we caught up on emails, checked out flight details and weather for Vegas. The next three days are forecast for 100, 101 and 102. Bring on the sunshine.

Checking in at Memphis airport was the first time we had to do the suitcase shuffle. Marika’s suitcase was 58 pounds, 50 is the limit. So some went into her hand luggage and some into my suitcase. We had to pay $25 for each case, but were lucky as we were supposed to pay an additional $35 for our second pieces of luggage that we were checking. Phew, got away with that one. Fingers crossed our luck continues. And I think we are both going to have to post more stuff home, or not buy any thing else.

It was then we discovered that Memphis airport does not have an Admirals Club Lounge, luckily it was less than an hours wait. We arrived in Dallas, Texas after just over an hours flight. Dallas airport has a great Admirals Club to use, but we only had half an hour between flights. So a quick trip to the loos, and a bite to eat. The Qantas Club was so worth joining. Nice to be able to walk in to clean toilets without queues. Also the free wifi and free drinks is great when we have time. So I’m now on the plane to Las Vegas, Marika is asleep next to me, and I’m typing away on my awesome HP Netbook, another great investment. Once I land and have internet again, I’ll post this blog and I hope you enjoy it and the photos.




Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb