Memphis to Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
November 1st 2009
Published: November 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Indiana after halloween with a week ahead of no college parties. They were great fun but to get back into tourist mode was great.

We headed down to Memphis from Indiana hoping that it would take us around 5 hours, it ended up taking about 10 and Norman was feeling pretty ropey, shaking like a drunk in need of alcohol! In the end we stopped just outside Memphis and checked into a super 8 motel. These hotels are just like the hotel from my name is earl, horrible!

The next morning we headed to Graceland, the main reason for coming to Memphis. The house was just off a main road, not what we thought it would be like. The grounds were huge and we parked across the road and were shuttle over. The tour was great, the house was exactly as Elvis left it, my favourite room was the jungle room where he recorded an album, it has leopard skin sofas and walls.

After spending a few hours at the house we hit the road again for the 25+ hour drive to Vegas. It is just one road, the I40 which includes part of the old route 66. We went into Oaklahoma. It was great to see another part of the country. It seemed very old fashioned compared to other states but was nevertheless nice. We stayed in another hotel just across the border in Texas for the evening after a long, 7 hour drive.

The next day we drove through Texas and eventually into Amarillo, we decided to stop for gas a some food and then the problem hit us. I went to unlock the passenger door and the only car key snapped in the hole. OH dear! So i got a cab to walmart to try to get a new one cut, this didn't work so i had to call a locksmith who took 2 hours to come out and make a new key for us. There were some really strange people coming through the gas station, interesting times!!

Then we hit New Mexico, cowboy land. It looked exactly as it did in the movies, desert land tumbleweed with some mountains. There were a few traditional Indian areas where you couldn't drive off the interstate as it was tribal land. Pretty cool!

We eventually cam through Arizona and hit the Hoover dam at around 8pm. We stopped there to look around but it was so dark so not much could be seen. Then we only had about a half hour drive to BC's place in Vegas. After a long 11 hour drive we eventually turned up and got some good rest!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb