Soul Man


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
December 14th 2007
Published: December 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Memphis after a 2 hour drive through Tennessee from Nashville, weather‘s turned a bit colder now so once again the sandals have been relegated to the suitcase and the Uggs have been dusted off. After decamping our suitcases at 3.00 we decided to go for our usual new town pre-amble, aiming for Beale Street the centre of downtown with its live music bars and soul cuisine galore in order to do a recce for this evening. Great wide streets with old French colonial style buildings and traditional trams. Everything seemed extremely quiet at first as we wended our way down Main Street, and then we hit Beale Street…

Enticed into “Superiors” by Michael - who sure did have the gift of the gab and his so called “happy hour” which should actually read “happy day” given that beers are the same reduced price all day….but hey ho who are we to nit pick? We were also sold on his offer that their ribs were the best in Memphis, and they came with a money back guarantee! So two beers & 2 JD’s later we sampled the infamous ribs and boy were they good. Surrounded by Hume High School memorabilia (that’s were Elvis went, and there are photos of him looking somewhat geeky from his graduation year book on the wall) we chomped our way through 2 huge full racks whilst listening to Big Papa Joe playing some wicked soul.

Thought it best to head back to the hotel and freshen up for after a while; when joy of joys we stumbled across another Flying Saucer - life doesn’t get much better than this, fab food at great prices, good drinks and of course outstanding music! I think we’re both going to love Memphis.

Tomorrow we’re off to Graceland to see the King, and buy some tacky mementos oops I mean Christmas presents, and no doubt enjoy some more great blues with perhaps some Jack Daniels thrown in.

And not forgetting a huge Memphis happy 14th birthday to (Tennessee) Jed

Song of the Day: Chuck Berry - Memphis Tennessee (well it had to be didn't it!)

Nina & Andy xoxo



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb