Memphis Tennessee


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
May 24th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After Washington we had planned to go to Chicago for a couple of days, but for a variety of reasons, including the horrendous cost of accomodation we decided to bypass Chicago and go straight to Memphis. We only intended to stay for 3 nights but ended up staying for 5, and we both agreed that Memphis was the highlight of our time in the USA.

We visited Graceland of course, which we really enjoyed more so than either of us expected. It was great to see how Elvis had decorated his home (shagpile carpet not only on the floor but also the ceiling!), and we also got a feel for just how enormously successful he was. We have never seen so many gold records!. However Memphis also has a host of other attractions to see, equally as impressive as Graceland if not quite as famous. Other music related attractions were the Rock and Soul Museum and Sun Studios, where Elvis started as well as Johny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis - a really impressive 45 minute tour.

Another of the highlights was the American Civil Rights Museum, which is located in the building which was once the Lorraine Hotel where Martin Luther King was assassinated in April 1968. This was a very interesting museum and we actually ran out of time to get all of the way through. We spent two hours going through the exhibitions but had to leave when they kicked us out at closing time.

Finally we visited a museum on Mudd Island which traced the history of the Mississippi River. There was also a to scale model of the entire Mississippe River, which covered half a mile and included every bend and turn, island, contour as well as showing the major cities and towns along the river.

The nightlife in Memphis was fantastic. Beale Street (the main strip) was packed with people walking from bar to bar - drink in hand (actually this was going on during the day as well). All the bars had live bands and they were great places just to stop by and enjoy the atmosphere. One bar we liked in particular was Coyote Ugly where, as in the movie of the same name, the barmaids were walking and dancing along the bar pouring shooters.





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Elvis's graveElvis's grave
Elvis's grave

Elvis is buried in the grounds of Gracelands, along with other members of his family
The Lorraine Hotel - MemphisThe Lorraine Hotel - Memphis
The Lorraine Hotel - Memphis

This is the hotel where Martin Luther King was assasinated on April 4 1968. It is now the home of the American Cicil Rights Museum
The spot where martin Luther King diedThe spot where martin Luther King died
The spot where martin Luther King died

A permament memorial to the spot on the balcony where Martin Luther King was shot
The next Elvis! - maybe notThe next Elvis! - maybe not
The next Elvis! - maybe not

This is the exact spot in Sun Studios where Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash, amongst others - recorded some of their biggest hits. Guy couldn't help himself.
Mudd IslandMudd Island
Mudd Island

A to scale model of the Mississippi River - very cool.


Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb