Pre-Departure


Advertisement
Published: May 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

It's official. It's 2:09 a.m. and I just purchased my non-refundable ticket to Santiago, Chile. My non-refundable return flight is from Lima, Peru, which gives me good motivation to travel once I'm through at Valparaiso where I'll be studying Spanish for six weeks. Here's some general information about where I'll be and some pre-departure research I did that you might find interesting:

What is my trip?

I'll be studying for six weeks at the Pontificia Universidad Catolica De Valparaiso beginning June 10th and ending July 20th. I'll study Spanish and Latin American culture and get to live with a host family who will feed me and shelter me during my stay. After this, I'll take another six weeks and travel towards Lima, Peru and see as much as I can on the way. I'll have six weeks and I've budgeted $50 / day which ought to be more than enough considering I live cheaply.

What I will pack

Contacts - X 2 Cases
Contact Case X 2
Copy of Contacts Prescription X 1
Glasses
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Floss
Shampoo
Conditioner
Soap
Deodorant (Stick)
Razor/Cartridges
Shaving Cream/Aftershave
Towel
Nail Clippers
Umbrella

Pants X 2 (Each convertible to shorts)
Shirts X 3
Underwear X 7
Socks X 7
Shoes X 2
Flip Flops X 1
Underarmor X 1
Undershirts/T-shirts X 3
Long Underwear X 1
Jacket X 1

Travel Guides X 2
Pleasure Reading X 2
Cookbook X 1
iPod plus equipment
Camera
- case
- batteries/charger
- transfer cables
- memory cards
- Gorilla Tripod
Power Converter
Knife X 1
Day Pack X 1
Notebook for Journal X 1
Pens X 5
Locks for Backpacks X ?
Locks for Hotel Doors if Needed X 1

Alternative Wallet X 2
Passport plus copies
Travel Insurance Card plus copies
Visa Travelcards
Cash X ??
Plane Tickets
ISEP forms
Word Cards X 1 package

Pics of Family
Gifts for Host Family
MC Packet for Chile

Any more suggestions? I've been working on this list at work and its certainly not complete but if there are any glaring holes comment them for me!

Chile Information Guide

1.History
2.Outline at least 3 major events in your host country’s history.
(a)The conquest of the native people's in 1540. Before this time there were hundreds of thousands of natives who maintained themselves through slash and burn agriculture and hunting. This led to the founding of Santiago in 1541 and it was the central and northern areas of Chile that the Europeans were able to control. The Spanish conquests were never able to fully tame the southern population of the Mapuche who constantly forced the conquistadors borders northward.
(b)Chile achieved total independence in 1818 when Jose de San Martin and Bernardo O'Higgans crossed the Andes and defeated the royalists. This was followed by a similar and complete suppression of the Mapuche toward the latter part of the 19th century. This allowed Chile to extend its borders far to the south and to gain rights over the Straights of Magellan. Borders were also expanded northward as Chile acquired land from Bolivia while the latter was tied up in the War of the Pacific with Peru. From this time until the 1920's Chile's economy degenerated into one that supported the ruling oligarchy although the style of government was parliamentary democracy.
(c)In 1970 Salvador Allende Gossens, a socialist, was elected President. As the economy had been in recent decline, he instituted quick economy reforms that redistributed income downward, increased consumer spending, and redistributed millions of hectares of land to agricultural workers. He also began to nationalize Chile's resources, especially its copper fields, which at the time were run by U.S. Corporations. The United States did not like this policy and the Nixon administration was soon restricting economic credit to Chile and funding opposition media, politicians and organizations through the CIA to create domestic destabilization in the country. In 1973 the country was so destabilized that a military coup led by General Pinochet Ugarte overthrew the government and Allende reportedly committed suicide.
(d)The country endured many human rights violations under Pinochet who reportedly killed over 30,000 people in his stay in power, the most infamous example being the Caravan of Death in 1973 where 70 people were killed. Inflation continued under Pinochet and the gap between the poor and the rich rose sharply. At the same time, market liberalizing reforms were undertaken guided by the technocrats, known as the Chicago Boys. In 1988, Pinochet peacefully gave up power after losing an election and this paved the way for new democratic transitions.
(e)The Chilean government has been run by the Concertacion political coalition since this time, most recently electing socialist female President Michelle Bachelet in 2006.There have also been Truth and Reconciliation Committees to bring to light the atrocities including disappearances and torturing that occurred during Pinochet's rule. Other notable events include the establishment of a Free Trade Area with the U.S., EU, and South Korea.

3.What is the history of this country’s relationship with the USA?
(a)The CIA is known to have been involved in working to influence elections from 1964 to 1970 and the United States was openly hostile to Allende. It has not been confirmed but there are also reasons to believe that the U.S. may have had a role in Pinochet's military coup in 1973 although this is unconfirmed. Monetary support to Chilean military grew drastically between between 1970 and 1972 and the CIA used many contacts in Pinochet's regime despite the human rights violations. On June 6, 2003 Chile and the United States agreed to a Free Trade Agreement. As might seem typical, some agree with this and believe it will create wealth through trade, while others disagree and believe that it will cause Chile to become overdependent on natural resource export. The Chilean copper mines were once controlled by U.S. Interests as well, until Allende nationalized them.
4.What are the national holidays? Can you, as a foreigner, participate?
(a)On June 13th is the Noche de San Juan Bautista which is an important feast night celebrated by families with a giant stew known as the Estofado de San Juan. This festival is also accompanied by a real life game of hot potato. I imagine I will participate in this if I have a host-family.
(b)On June 29, La Fiesta de San Pedro involves fisherman decorating their boats and going out to sea at night with candles to pray for good weather and large catches.
(c)July 12-18 is a very large religious festival in the Far North of Chile attended by over 80,000 people annually.
(d)July 16 is a festival involving military parades that takes place in Santiago where San Martin and Bernardo O'Higgins defeated the Spanish Royalists in 1818.
(e)September 18 is Chile's Independence Day celebrated by street parties music and dancing.

5.Politics
6.What is the current political structure of the country?
(a)Parliamentary democracy, left-leaning. Major parties include the Christian Democrat Party, the Party for Democracy, the Socialist Party of Chile, the Socialist Democrat Radical Party, the National Renewal Party, the Independent Democrat Union, and the Communist Party of Chile
7.Who are the major current leaders?
(a)Michelle Bachelet is the current President. She intends to continue free market practices while working to narrow the gap between the rich and poor in Chile, a gap which is one of the highest in the world.

8.Religion
9.What is/are the dominant religion(s)?
(a)Roman Catholicism 89%!<(MISSING)br>(b)Protestants 11%! (MISSING)Most protestants are evangelical
(c)Jewish < 1%!<(MISSING)br> 10.Is there an official state religion? Which one?
(a)There is freedom of religion in Chile that is pretty well respected. The Catholic church did have a lot of ties with the government though until the 1970's when the church, shocked at the human rights abuses, distanced itself and became a defender of human rights. Since the democratic movements in the 1990's, the church has retained its distance.
(b)Among practicing religious followers, the poor are much more active with their beliefs. People with different beliefs generally get along pretty well.
11.Is religion a topic that is discussed openly?
(a)My impression is that this should be discussed similar to it is here in the United States.

12.Female/male relationships
13.Are there separate societal roles for men and women? If so, what are they?
(a)Traditionally the roles followed along those of the Catholic Church saying that women sould be submissive and obedient to their husbands. Nevertheless it is now widely accepted for women to have roles outside the home, the election of a female president being a huge example of this. Most traditional views are held by older and poorer people while younger and more affluent families tend to be more modern.
14.What are the rules/norms for “romantic” relationships in this country? Do young people date? If so, do they date in groups, in couples? Do they need a chaperon? Are such relationships formal or informal? Can unmarried women and men have a “romantic” relationship? What is the norm regarding premarital sex? Is it acceptable to hold hands, touch or kiss in public?
(a)Premarital sex among couples in love is widely accepted in the country (63%!o(MISSING)f Catholics, but almost no Protestants agree with this) leading me to believe that romantic relationships are acceptable. This compounds another issue, however, of access to birth control being only easy for people who have already had a child.
15.What are the rules/norms for female/male friendships? In what types of social activities do young women and men participate together?
(a)I'm not sure. Dancing?

16.Family
17.What is the common form of marriage ceremony and celebration?
(a)A traditional Chilean wedding custom calls for the couple getting married to exchange wedding rings when the engagement proposal takes place. Until the wedding vows at their marriage ceremony, the couple will wear their wedding bands on their right hands. Once they have become man and wife the rings are switched to their left hands.
18.What are the attitudes toward divorce? Family planning? Contraception? Abortion?
(a)Chile is fairly conservative concerning these values as has been discussed above
i.Divorce, just recently legalized in 2004
ii.Family planning, once a woman has had her first child it is very easy to get birth control but before then it can be difficulty
iii.Abortion, most Chileans are generally against abortion except in extenuating circumstances
19.What is seen as the ideal family size? Is the typical family nuclear or extended?
(a)Ideal family size? Not sure, despite the influence of Catholicism I would say lower, perhaps 2-3 because of the wide acceptance of birth control. Probably larger families among the poor and smaller as income levels rise.
(b)The typical family is nuclear but there are strong connections with the extended family, providing an external support system if need be. Children also refer to close friends of their parents as tio and tia (uncle and aunt) demonstrating the close feelings also shared toward friends.
20.What is the legal voting age? (marriage, driving a car)? Are there differences for women/men?
(a)Suffrage, eighteen years and universal
(b)Marriage, for boys 14-18 there need to be express paternal permission (maternal if father is not available). For girls it is the same but 12-18. At the age of 18 an individual can marry with or without parental permission.
(c)Working, must be over eighteen to work, or over fifteen with express permission from parents and work at this age if it does not negatively influence their schooling or health.
(d)Criminal responsibility, 16, or until 18 if considered 'not possessing discernment'.
(e)Drinking age, 18
(f)Driving age, 18, but illegal to smoke, use a walkman (iPod), or use a cellphone while driving. Seat belts are mandatory and BAC max level is 0.08%!<(MISSING)br>
21.Social etiquette
22.What are the special privileges of age or sex?
(a)Similar manners as in the U.S.
23.When is one expected to present or accept gifts? What kinds of gifts?
(a)When visiting a Chilean's home, it is common to give flowers or candies to the hostess (flowers should be sent in advance). However, one should avoid yellow flowers (they symbolize contempt) and black or purple flowers (which symbolize death). Obviously expensive gifts should also be avoided. Scissors and knives indicate that you want to sever a relationship so avoid these as well.
24.How do people greet each other and how do they take leave of one another? Are there differences based on social status, age, sex?
(a)Men usually shake hands although in more relaxed situations men may embrace while women will kiss on the right cheek. It is best to follow a Chileans lead in doing this. Use good eye contact!
(b)Try to use titles if they are known.
(c)Wait to use first names until the relationship comes more close.
(d)Try to limit excessive gestures and hand movements when talking

25.Dress
26.Is there a customary attire for women, men, children? Is there a traditional or indigenous style of dress? If so, describe it. Who wears it and when?
(a)Chilean dress is generally conservative. Chileans always like to look nice as it is a sign of social status. Nice clothes are a must.
27.What is the appropriate dress for you as a foreigner in this country?
(a)Casual, nice pair of pants or jeans with a shirt.
(b)Formal, conservative suit and tie, gray or blue with white shirts
28.Are there special dress customs you should know about? i.e. taking off one’s shoes in certain places? What types of clothing might be taboo?
(a)Most Chileans do not wear shorts.
29.What types of clothing must you have for various occasions you might encounter?
(a)I need to be prepared for the temperature as well as the style. I'll follow three 'C's, conservative, casual and comfortable for normal dress. I will have a nicer conservative suit for any formal events as well. I hope to buy most of this in Chile where it will be cheaper but I am concerned about size.

30.Food
31.What foods are most popular? How are they prepared?
(a)What immediately stands out among Chilean food is its seafood, some of the best in the world. Beef and chicken are also food staples in Chile, as well as sweetcorn and potatoes. Chilean wine is also quite famous and good.
32.How and with what utensils, if any, do people eat? (manners, customs, etc.)
(a)Generally Chileans eat nicely and always with utensils, although many Chilean sandwiches are so overflowing with ingredients that they are hard to eat cleanly.
33.Are there taboo foods that are not considered edible or not permitted for traditional or religious reasons?
(a)Not that I am aware of

34.Health
35.What kind of health services are available at or near your host institution/organization? Where are they located?
(a)Van Buren, Colon and San Ignacio, (T) 32/254074


36.Are there common home remedies for minor ailments? What are the attitudes toward folk medicine? Is it commonly practiced?
(a)The Mapuche have a tradition of medicines that is starting to regain acceptance in the mainstream culture by people who want natural and cheaper medicines.
37.Is the water potable?
(a)Yes, but one still risks diarrhea by drinking the water because of regional differences.
38.Which immunizations are required to enter the country? Which are advisable?
(a)No immunizations needed. Minimal health risk. Biggest concerns will be acclimation to food and water, and altitude sickness if I travel in the mountains. Air pollution in Santiago is also a health concern.

39.Values
40.What things are taboo to do in this country? Which things are taboo to talk about in common conversation?
(a)The disappearances during the Pinochet regime remain a touchy subject.
41.What type of moral code is followed? (Christian, Islamic, Confucian?) How does this moral code influence attitudes toward drinking alcohol, drug-taking, gambling, pre-marital or extra-marital sex? How does this differ from what you are used to?
(a)The moral code is generally based on the Catholic moral code although interpretations are sometimes more or less strict.

42.Education
43.Is education free? Compulsory to what age? Available to all?
(a)Education is free and mandatory until secondary school when it becomes optional.
44.What style of teaching prevails in schools? (rote learning; importance of exams; lecture...)
(a)Lecture format with emphasis on memorization and note-taking.
45.Describe the university system and how it differs from the USA. What is the school year calendar? What is the grading system like? How does their credit system work?

http://www.worldpress.org/Americas/2752.cfm

46.Daily life
47.Are prices asked for merchandise for sale fixed or is one expected to bargain? How is bargaining conducted?
(a)I have read nothing to indicate that prices are not fixed, it seems that they are. However, there may be street merchants for whom prices are negotiable.
48.Is it okay to touch merchandise for sale? Does touching indicate desire to buy?
(a)
49.When does the normal work or school day begin and end? Is there a siesta time?
(a)May be possible in smaller areas but in big cities like Santiago most people do not take a siesta.
50.What is the currency? What is the current value to the dollar? Is it stable? Will you be permitted to carry it out of the country?
(a)The currency is the Chilean Peso. As of April 24, 2007, it is 529.050 pesos to the dollar. In the past 1,940 days, the Chilean Peso has fluctuated from a high of 747 to a low of 483. The general trend has been downward showing appreciation against the U.S. Dollar. I am not sure if I can carry the peso out of the country. In small amounts this should be no problem and as the market is generally free I doubt I'll have more money to take out of the country than I'll be allowed to take out.



51.On being a foreigner in this country
52.How will your financial position and social status compare with the majority of people living in this country?
(a)I will be wealthier than much of the country
53.Do these people generally “like” Americans? Other foreigners?
(a)Chileans are generally very friendly and so long as I show interest in their culture there should be little problems. There may still be some resentment among some political factions toward the U.S. and I should be aware of this.
54.When you go, must you register with city officials? The police? The U.S. Embassy?
(a)I get a tourist card which lasts for ninety days but can be renewed by either paying $100 or by leaving and re-entering the country.
55.Do you need visas to enter the country? Alien registration for longer stays? What regulations apply to you as a foreigner?
(a)I will not need a visa to enter the country although I will need to pay a $100 arrival tax.
56.Will you need visas to travel to neighboring countries?
(a)It depends on the country
57.What should you do if you find yourself in legal trouble?
(a)Contact the U.S. embassy
58.Are there special laws governing the activities of foreigners that you should know about?
(a)Not that I am aware of, other than keeping my travel card current.

Links

Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Valparaiso
Valparaiso

Anyway, I'm looking forward to writing this blog about South America. I hope to brush up my writing style for this set of blogs so it should have a different feel than my Japan set.

Comments/Suggestions/Advice? Let me know!

-BGP



Advertisement



24th May 2007

Wow!!
This sounds really exciting! I can't wait to hear more about your experience. Good luck!
21st June 2007

It came in handy
nice to see that pre-departure homework came in handy ;) can't wait to see more...

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb