Day 7 - Cincinnati to Tennessee


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Alcoa
September 17th 2010
Published: September 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Before going to bed we had decided that Dave would guide us on a short early morning ride along the Ohio River to Richmond the birth place of Ulysses Grant.

It was perfect morning for the ride through leafy rolling countryside beside the Ohio. What a mighty river it is and remains a busy transport route. We saw a number of huge tugs pushing large barges, up to 15, full of coal. The coal is used to power the power stations that are on the banks of the river.

Whilst riding along I saw a squirrel on side of the road The first since leaving England 40+ years ago!!

After returning back to Dave's place we said our farewells and headed south out of Ohio and into Kentucky on Interstate 75. As we headed south we started to enter the hills of northern Tennessee. We stopped at the Tennessee State Visitors centre for a cold drink and a walk around. These visitors centres are a wealth of information, well laid out with lots of outdoor seating and away from the Interstate. The temp had steadily risen and was now around 80f (27c) and humid!

We had intended
New Richmond, OhioNew Richmond, OhioNew Richmond, Ohio

Coal barges on the Ohio River
at staying in Knoxville but we had made good time and decided to continue south towards the foot of the Great Smoky Mountains. We eventually decided to stop in Alcoa at the Country Comfort Suites. Nicely appointed and very welcoming. I texted GB who had headed out through Missouri for St Louis and Nashville from Decatur on Sunday. He arrived within the hour. We freshened up and went next door to a restaurant for dinner.

We hit the sack early as we wanted to get away early for the Smoky's and the TALE!!

Covered approx 400+ miles (700kms)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb