Day - 8 The Tale of the Dragon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Robbinsville
September 17th 2010
Published: September 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was THE big Day - Tale of the Dragon. Biker's dream road.

Set off early and commenced with the Foothills Parkway. Such beautiful countryside with excellent winding roads with an ever increasing number of bikes. Everywhere we stopped we were greeted by fellow bikers from all over the states. A short stop ended in long stops exchanging experiences of Aus , our trip and bikers' tales.

The Tale is all it is made to be 318 bends in 11 miles - BLOODY AWESUME. At the end we stopped at Deals Gap to let the adrenalin levels drop, have coffee and lunch.

Met a County Sheriff and took photo's with his car. He had a story of the highest speed a rider was booked at by him. The rider was caught doing 70mph. The speed limit is 35mph and most of the time you are doing less than 15mph. This guy he caught was an Aussie!!!

Rested and fed we headed on to our overnight stop - Iron Mountain Motorcycle resort.

What a top spot. Many thanks to Pete for arranging and meeting us there. The Resort is fairly new, about 5 years old and as in its name caters for bikers. It is set in a beautiful valley with a mountain stream meandering through the park. Only negative is that the are unable to sell alcohol as this county in Tennessee is a dry county!!! So after showers and a gossip on the verandah of our cabin we headed into Bryson City in Pete's huge 4x 4where alcohol could be had!!

Now Bryson City is like stepping back into the past. Lovely old town. We went to a local pizzaria and had a pizza and a couple of beers. After dinner we wandered around town and into some of the shops. One had lots of different cooking sauces/concoctions. Plus books on how to make moonshine!! This of course is moonshine territory.

Back at the cabin we sat outside chatting and reminiscing on the day before we collapsed into bed.

Sleep evaded us for awhile after such a memorable day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb