Three More Sleeps....


Advertisement
Published: July 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Crazy HorseCrazy HorseCrazy Horse

This is what is done so far... the face is completely finished.
Three more sleeps… Not that we are getting bored or anything, just a little road weary perhaps. We drove a long way today, through South Dakota. We started early this morning in Wyoming, and have ended our day in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, which is almost on the border with Minnesota.

Today’s fun excursions included a drive south of the I-90 through Deadwood Gulch, to see Crazy Horse, a similar carving project to Rushmore. The thing that makes Crazy Horse so unique… they’ve been working on it for 55 years and it is still not done, and doesn’t even look close to done! To be fair, the size and magnitude of Crazy Horse is at least five times the size of Rushmore. We’re hoping it might be completed in our lifetime!

Mount Rushmore was “as advertised”, a National Monument worthy of the stop to look and go “hmmm, how nice”. It has the typical trappings of a tourist spot so we checked it all out and then were on our way. Keystone, the closest town is made up to be an old west style town with lots of stuff to distract travelers.

Back on the highway we saw
Crazy Horse scale modelCrazy Horse scale modelCrazy Horse scale model

This is the look they are going for!
ghost towns, truck stops built to look like 1880’s and lots of ranches and fields. The terrain has flattened out and we are now enjoying flat, straight shot driving.

We have three days left in our road trip, but not sure if we’ll have internet access beyond today. We’ve been lucky so far, but tonight's location only allows us to type our entry, pictures. So we're letting you know now that if we cannot post again we will do a summary posting when we’re home so that you can see that we made it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Mount RushmoreMount Rushmore
Mount Rushmore

Just to prove we were there. Luckily it was only a couple of miles from Crazy Horse or we might have missed it.


28th July 2005

See you when you get home, guys! Thanks for letting everybody follow along, via this inter-web thingy. Chris Mc

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb