Sioux City, Iowa to Rapid City, South Dakota


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The South Dakota PrairiesThe South Dakota PrairiesThe South Dakota Prairies

We tried to capture the sense of vast open spaces. It did not work; there is no way to convey the sense of scale here in a photograph.
South Dakota today. The prairies really are unending. Two scenic overlooks in 450 miles and the views were spectacular, one particularly awesome. Again the weather was spectacular; 77 to 80 degrees but with the windows opened and no air conditioner ruunning, we were very comfortable.

The air here is really clean and, well . . . sweet. And the wind blows almost constantly. We lunched at a road side rest area comfortably in a constant light breeze. The ranches are huge and the grain silos and hay bales are everywhere. The cattle are the healthiest looking beef and dairy cattle that I can ever remember seeing. The soil is black and probably could grow concrete if there were seeds for it!

At Mitchell we found the world's only Corn Palace. The building is decorated each year with murals designed completely with corn, grasses and, twin.

Chamberlain had the biggest surprise for us so far. As we crested a rise Lake Frances Case spread out from North to South across the valley of the Missouri River.

We were able to see some of the Badlands eastern edge from the highway. Tomorrow we will ride the Badlands Scenic Highway.
Steer Head SculptureSteer Head SculptureSteer Head Sculpture

There were several large sculptures on this ridge including this steer head, a large hammer pulling out a nail, and more.


Rapid City has not convinced us to move to South Dakota.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Home on the prairie.Home on the prairie.
Home on the prairie.

East side of South Dakota the homes are all nestled innto groves of trees. This is only one example. Later on there were no hoes to see.
Donna and one of her long lost relativesDonna and one of her long lost relatives
Donna and one of her long lost relatives

He was a bit stoic about their reunion. Must not've liked Princesses much.
Long Lost relativeLong Lost relative
Long Lost relative

He was nice enough to pose with a pale face for her 'tho.
World's Only Corn PalaceWorld's Only Corn Palace
World's Only Corn Palace

This is the last of three buildings decorated with artwork made from corn. The original in 1902 was built for the Corn Exposition.
2008 Heroes Corn Palace Mural2008 Heroes Corn Palace Mural
2008 Heroes Corn Palace Mural

This year's theme is Heros and these murals depict various images including police, fire, soldier, and more.
Donna's Relatives as DollsDonna's Relatives as Dolls
Donna's Relatives as Dolls

Well she is a doll herself so it is appropriate.
Corn Palace muralsCorn Palace murals
Corn Palace murals

All of these murals are designed using corn and grasses.
Corn Palace MuralCorn Palace Mural
Corn Palace Mural

A close up of the way the corn is used to create the murals.
TerraPlaneTerraPlane
TerraPlane

The car in the foreground was well used. The hood ornament bore the legend TERRAPLANE.
Lake Frances CaseLake Frances Case
Lake Frances Case

Chamberlain, South Dakota. We crested a small rise and below us in an unexpected valley lay this beautiful lake. Lewis and Clark camped at Chamberlain going out and returning on their expedition.
Lake Frances Case from the OverlookLake Frances Case from the Overlook
Lake Frances Case from the Overlook

The second scenic overlook of the day. This lake was a complete surprise for us. You would not expect it in the open prairie through which the Missouri River runs.
Stone TeepeeStone Teepee
Stone Teepee

The sculpture is repeated at each of the many rest areas along the way.
Open SkyOpen Sky
Open Sky

The prairie seems to have no end. It is much like the feeling you get on the ocean.
Approaching the BadlandsApproaching the Badlands
Approaching the Badlands

These bluffs are the precursor to the Badlands and demonstrate why the area is so named.


23rd June 2008

WOW
Wow! again... I could feel and taste the air you described, thanks. I aspire to follow your trail! Cathy-
23rd June 2008

Educational vacation!!!NOOOOO!
;] just kiddin, i love you guys.
24th June 2008

Indian Princess
I am sure Donna is feeling right at home.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0944s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb