Mt. Rushmore, Keystone, SD


Advertisement
Published: July 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we arrived in Keystone, SD and we took a tour of Custer State Park where we did the entire wildlife loop during an intense thunderstorm. We saw lots of cool wildlife, like donkeys, and deer and antelope. Unfortunately the buffalo were all hiding from the rain. Then we visited Mt. Rushmore. Last time we were here we could not even stand the winds were so strong and this time we got caught in major downpours. Then we went to The Historic Powder House Lodge in Keystone for our hosted dinner of Elk, Buffalo, and Venison which was great. After dinner, we decided to go back to Mt. Rushmore for the lighting ceremony which was a lot cooler than I expected---I was glad we went. We both had fun.

I'm exhausted so this is short---last night's hotel was lousy and I got 2 hours sleep.

We had hoped to do more in Keystone (as for attractions) but it was pouring all day today so maybe tomorrow before we leave for Wyoming.

However, we did go over briefly to the famous Keystone historic cemetery where many folks who were involved in the creation of Mt. Rushmore were buried. It's the only cemetery in the world with a view of Mt. Rushmore.

Just a little more LHOTP trivia...the real life Carrie Ingalls of Little House on the Prairie married David Swanzey (he's buried there) and he was a very prominent historical figure here---naming Mt. Rushmore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Wild donkeysWild donkeys
Wild donkeys

Custer State Park


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb