Devil's Tower and Jackson Hole, WY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Jackson Hole
July 30th 2009
Published: July 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Mt. Rushmore yesterday only after a terrific helicopter flight over Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse where we saw buffalo. We also did the Alpine Slide there too. Then we ate at Peggy's Place for breakfast and then drove to Devil's Tower, WY where they filmed Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

We rode funky lowrider 3 wheelers at the KOA there and checked into our cabin and then a fascinating local rock climbing instructor, musician/ bed and breakfast inkeeper gave us a terrific tour of his private property at the base of the tower where he takes folks climbing to the top daily. We ate dinner at the KOA. It rained all night and the next day we rode horses around Devil's Tower which was great even though it rained. We saw a mother fox and her babies.

The folks at that KOA are just amazing people and so kind and they also make world famous Devil's Tower Fudge there too. They all had great stories of when Steven Spielberg came there to film the movie and all sorts of other local tales that were just awesome and captivating.

We were really sad to leave but had to head on to Cody. We drove through the gorgeous Big Horn Mts. and it nearly snowed on us (38 degrees) and there was snow everywhere on the peaks. We stopped in Ten Sleep, WY at Dirty Sally's for Huckleberry ice cream---what a tiny funny town! We got to Cody just in time for the famous Cody Rodeo which was terrific! Wonderful jokes from the rodeo clown about Obama and other liberal wackos and they even prayed before the rodeo started---those cowboys really know how to rodeo---they put CA to shame!!

Today we had a way-too--short quicky visit to the Buffalo Bill Historical Center and Firearms Museum right before we left Cody---wish we had MUCH more time there but we had to rush to Yellowstone. We drove through Yellowstone Nat'l Park and the Grand Tetons which were stupendous...we saw lots of wild buffalo as we crossed the Continental Divide (elevation 7988 brrrrr) again and finally got to Jackson Hole to the Snow King Resort where we went on the Alpine Slide....the views were amazing---wish we had more time. It felt so good after driving 7 hours to down a cold Moose Drool beer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb