Beale Family Vacation: Codename "Disaster"?


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we're in day four of Beale family vacation, day two of Keystone, South Dakota, and day one of Caitlin's blogging extravaganza. Surprisingly enough nobody in our family has strangled anyone and Rebecca hasn't encountered any physical harm...yet. Yesterday we went to the Crazy Horse memorial thing and after spending about an hour in the huge museum none of us ever really figured out what exactly he was famous for. Anyway, a sculpture of him on his horse is being carved into a mountain, similar to Mt. Rushmore. They've been working on it for about 60 years and all that's completed is his face, so it's hard to say if I'll ever see it completed on my lifetime. Today we went to Bear Country, which is like a drive-through zoo. There were lots of different animals and though I was a bit skeptical about it at first, it actually turned out to be pretty neat. There were dozens of bears and it was neat watching them play, a little weird when a few of them were...ahem...creating the cute little bear cubs we got to see up close at the end of the driving part. The funniest part of the whole thing was when two of the bears acted as guards and paced the entrance and exit of their exhibit. They'd walk back and forth along the cattle guard while cars tried to pass and you had to be careful when crossing or you would hit them. After that Matthew and I got to go for a helicopter ride that took us over everywhere we've been travelling and closer to Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. It was pretty sweet and the pilot smelled really good, whoop! We were planning on going to the Mt. Rushmore Visitor's Center afterwards but due to rain and small hail we ended up back at the hotel. I think we're going soon though, and probably to the light show tonight. Tomorrow we're going to some mining place Matthew wants to go to and then we're headed to...Wyoming. Until then' adiĆ³s!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.4kb