A Day In Custer State Park


Advertisement
Published: December 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Custer State Park


Custer State Park in the Black Hills of Dakota encompasses 71,000 acres of varied and beautiful countryside. We started by heading up to Sylvan Lake where a few people were fishing. It’s very scenic so we just filled our time by walking around the Lake and exploring a few other places. Then on to the Needles Highway on SD87, which twists and turns past towering rock formations. You have to get out, to sample the best views and there aren’t many parking places. A narrow tunnel hewn out of the rock proved a challenge for a few drivers because the paintwork of their cars is permanently etched on the rock corners. It can be a nightmare for people with large gas guzzling 4 x 4s. There’s a super view of the Black Hills at one viewpoint. It amazes us how many people don’t get out their cars.

Onward to SD87 south of SD16, where we saw loads of wildlife; Pronghorn, Coyote, Buffalo and Prairie Dogs, Raptors of varying type, in fact more wildlife that we saw in the whole holiday, including our Visit the Yellowstone NP. Custer itself is a nice little place and we enjoyed a good meal that night at a huge Cowboy-Themed restaurant.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



2nd February 2008

Lookin' good!
These are some really excellent photos, they do a good job of capturing the vast expanses of the Black Hills.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb