Chimney Rock, Nebraska to Custer, South Dakota


Advertisement
Published: December 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Chimney Rock to Custer


It’s not far to Chimney Rock National Historic Site, another landmark outcrop to guide the pioneers heading west. You don’t stray far here, the large museum sign stating “Danger, rattlesnakes are common in this area.” You can see why the Native Americans were in awe of this outcrop, which they called “Elks Penis” but the White Man seemed to find the phrase a little ‘Taboo’, wonder why? Now it’s off to Bridgeport, Nebraska and north on the 385 Gold Rush Highway towards the Black Hills and Custer, South Dakota, with miles of empty road. We intended to visit Carhenge at Alliance, a theme based on the Stonehenge but using smashed up cars for columns and lintels. By the time we realised that we’d missed it, too late!

At Wind Cave National Park we got our first sight of Buffalo and Prairie Dogs, the latter being very funny little critters. They had us falling over laughing as did the little Buffalo calf following its mother who walked straight across the road oblivious to any traffic and up the embankment, which proved difficult for the little one.

Onward to Custer, named after the ill fated General who got his troops slaughtered
Windy Cave BuffaloWindy Cave BuffaloWindy Cave Buffalo

It's not very fast!
by Crazy Horse and his Braves at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. What a lovely area, beautiful scenery and lots of interesting things to do. We stayed two nights at the Super 8 Motel which was excellent. There are some good eating places in Custer too!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Prairie DogPrairie Dog
Prairie Dog

Hilarious little creature.


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb