South Dakota Tourists


Advertisement
Published: September 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mount RushmoreMount RushmoreMount Rushmore

Quite an imposing scupture when seen up close and personal
We were pleasantly surprised at the beauty of the Black Hills. National forests, granite mountains, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and the stunningly beautiful Custer State Park are found along with the usual tacky tourist attractions, motels, campgrounds, and gift shops.

Everyone’s seen photos of Mt. Rushmore, but it’s quite a treat to visit in person and learn the story of how this national memorial came to be.

The Crazy Horse monument was slightly more interesting, in our opinion. The project was begun in 1948 after Chief Standing Bear wrote to sculptor Korczak Ziolkowski and asked him to carve a monument honoring Native American heroes. He worked on it alone for many years. After his death in 1982, his widow and children continued the project. The head was finally unveiled in 1998, but there is no official completion date. When finished, it will be the largest mountain sculpture in the world. The visitor’s center contains wonderful Native American artifacts and artwork, and there is a very nice laser light show every evening.

We stopped in the small town of Sturgis a week after the huge annual Harley-Davidson biker rally. The town was pretty dead and perhaps taking a breather
On the road to Mount RushmoreOn the road to Mount RushmoreOn the road to Mount Rushmore

Tourists in cars weren't the only visitors
after 500,000 bikers dispersed. We couldn’t quite see the attraction, compared to towns like Deadwood, Hill City, and Custer. However, we did see plenty of bikers still roaming in the area.

As we journeyed east, we made a quick stop in Wall, SD to visit the famous Wall Drug Store. The little store struggled in the early days of the automobile, until Mrs. Wall suggested they offer ‘FREE’ ice water to travelers on their way West. The rest is history, as the store grew to what must now be acres of retail space. It’s quaint, it’s a tourist trap, it’s busy, but it’s also interesting and fascinating as well. We particularly enjoyed the old photos, the 5 cent coffee, and a yummy pecan roll.

Next stops: Minnesota and Michigan



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Tunnel ViewTunnel View
Tunnel View

Several tunnels in the area provide an interesting frame
Crazy HorseCrazy Horse
Crazy Horse

He will be the largest mountain sculpture when completed.
Work ContinuesWork Continues
Work Continues

When finished, the sculpture will depict the great warrior astride his horse.
Five Cent CoffeeFive Cent Coffee
Five Cent Coffee

Still available at Wall Drug


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb