Mt. Rushmore on the 4th of July !


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we were able to drive by Mt. Rushmore and stop and take pictures but because we weren't willing to park 3 miles away and hoof it up the highway, we decided not to go into the park with the other 20-30,000 people visiting for the holiday. We got lucky today. Elliot suggested we drive by for another look and since it was early morning (my early morning being 9:30) the park wasn't crowded. We not only easily and quickly got into the park, but Millie (just by pure luck based on other RVs which arrived before us) was parked right outside of the front entrance. Better than handicapped parking. Hmmm... on second thought, maybe the park rangers assumed Millie needed a brake. Kevin did all the activities to again become a Jr. Ranger. If you are thinking his goal to get multiple ranger badges has something to do with the national parks or the country, you are wrong. He loves Star Wars and thinks he can wear all the badges at one time and look like one of the Chewbaca. Elliot took lots of picts and honestly we just enjoyed walking the presidential path and learning more about Mt. Rushmore. Because it was the 4th, there was music along with actors representing each of the presidents. As we left, the crowds were pouring in and parking as already spilling out onto that highway. We got on the road hoping to make a stop for lunch and to fill a prescription in Rapid City. Lunch worked out but we didn't find a pharmacy. I think it is funny that we ended up stopping in Wall, SD at the Wall Drug to get Mark's prescription. Wall Drug has offered free ice water, nickle coffees and free coffee and donuts to any veteran since the 30s and is in all the guide books. In reality, it's a touristy South-of-the-Border type place with a little pharmacy counter tucked in a corner. Didn't matter -- the prescription got filled. The rest of the day was spent driving about approx. 475 miles through South Dakota and into Minnesota (staying the night at the Flying Goose Campground in Fairmont, MS (the state that elected a professional wrestler as their governor.) Millie did great today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



5th July 2007

Happy 4th
Happy 4th of July to you!! Love the posing, Mark. You all look very presidential! It looks like your 4th weather is better than ours. It was dreary all day and by late afternoon it started raining. Today is more rain and thunder storms. Glad Millie is (whisper this) holding her own. Knock on wood, throw salt over your shoulder, cross your fingers, God willing! Drive safely! Maggie

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb