The Badlands


Advertisement
Published: May 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Corn PalaceThe Corn PalaceThe Corn Palace

Taste of the midwest
The Badlands was our destination after Minneapolis. After the most boring drive of the trip (and windiest!!) we ended up in some of the most beautiful territory we've ever seen. It was also incredibly different than anything we've ever seen. The first night, we stayed in a campground in the Badlands....but after torrent winds that shook our tent so badly we couldn't sleep, we gave up and slept in a hotel in Wall, South Dakota, home of Wall Drug, the next night. Wall Drug was pretty interesting, to say the least. We explored plenty of the Badlands and it was up there as one of the top places on the trip....and definitely worth staying for an extra day.

The pictures do not do it justice, keep in mind.

Animals we saw included: coyote, big horned sheep, deer, antelope, bison, prairie dogs, and baby foxes.

A funny story that happened on the trip: There is a section of the park cordoned off for bison, so we went down to investigate in the car. You really aren't supposed to get out of the car but one of us (note: not Katie) wanted to get out and get a better picture
WALL DRUGWALL DRUGWALL DRUG

400 miles of signs on the way. We didn't even get any free ice water....
of some bison down in a ravine. Well, the person who didn't have this idea wasn't really sure because it was possibly bison birthing season, which is a time of year when they get aggressive. We went down anyway to this area that only had one little tiny scrub bush. The coast certainly looked clear....but it was not. Sure enough, a bison stuck its head out of the bush when we were about 200 feet away, as to say "Please get the hell out of here." Without panicking, we slowly made our way back up the hill. The party that had not been privy to the idea in the first place (note: not Joe) just shook his/her head.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Sunset the first nightSunset the first night
Sunset the first night

We set up camp just in time to see this amazing sunset. I guess it's pretty difficult to see any less than a spectacular sunset in the Badlands, as we later found out.
HikingHiking
Hiking

We did all kinds of hiking in the Badlands, from going to the top of some of the spires to walking through the prairie. It was all gorgeous, even on an overcast day.
Seashells in South Dakota!Seashells in South Dakota!
Seashells in South Dakota!

We were lucky enough to see some fossilized sea shells on one of our walks, which was so cool! There were thousands of these shells everywhere. It's amazing that they've hardly changed, but of course, they are no where near South Dakota anymore.
Cliff Swallow NestsCliff Swallow Nests
Cliff Swallow Nests

These were so cool!
BisonBison
Bison

This was a nice bison. He or she just kinda kept to themself.
Big Horn SheepBig Horn Sheep
Big Horn Sheep

There are only about 100 big horn sheep in the Badlands and we were lucky to see some on a drive. If you look very closely, you can see the identification collar around the male's neck.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Easily one of the most beautiful sunsets we've ever seen.
Mount RushmoreMount Rushmore
Mount Rushmore

Tourist stop!
Mount RushmoreMount Rushmore
Mount Rushmore

Very impressive.
BlackhillsBlackhills
Blackhills

A place we would love to spend more time someday.
Forest firesForest fires
Forest fires

This is the remnants of a huge forest fire in the Blackhills. It took thousands of acres and 5 years later still looks as though it just happened.


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb