Hurricane Bill


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Carolina » Charleston
September 1st 2009
Published: September 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The adventures of BillThe adventures of BillThe adventures of Bill

Such a fine line between pleasure and pain.
Waves - real waves at last. Unfortunatley in thse parts it takes a Hurricane/Cyclone to track off the coast as Bill did for there to be real waves.

As you can see Bill tracked perfectly to not only provide great sized waves (the bouys peaked at 12 feet at 18 seconds) but it was coupled with perfect off-shore winds to seal the deal. And to top it off it peaked on Saturday morning allowing a good solid all day surf to take place both Saturday and Sunday. almost forgot what noodle arms and rashed tummies felt like. 30+ air and water temps helps no end as well! For those empirically challenged 145miles per hour is about 235 kilometers per hour!

You are walking a very fine line though as Charleston found out in 1989 when Hurricane Hugo decided to hit the coast right on the coastal centre destorying most things in its path. having said that there is only really a 6 week peroid where conditions are right of Africa and through the carribean to allow storm after storm to threaten central and northern america. Good for home owners not so great for surf starved surfers!

It is the same set up that allowed Katrina to cause havoc throughout southern US in 2005 most notably in-undating New Orleans.

Photos ive attached arnt any of me surfing but they are all taken at folly beach where i surfed all weekend to the point of exaustion.....literally. Collapsed in bed sunday arvo for a lazy 4 hour "power snooze"! So worth it!

There is also a video which documents some random blokes on a surf trip up the east coast. Scary thing is i know all the shots taken in the video even down to girl behind the bar feeding them liquor! The link is below:

http://www.surfline.com/video/webisodes/the-hunt-hurricane-bill_30039

Will try and pen down some experiences from last weekend soon......roller derby baby - if nothing else the pictures should be fun!

Be good everyone !

Simo




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Lefts....Lefts....
Lefts....

The swell brought mostly lefts. Amazing how much you improve going left when you have a 6-8 ft wave to contend with.
30+C30+C
30+C

With air and water temps above 30C it was happy days!
Long boarder having funLong boarder having fun
Long boarder having fun

I actually am hanging onto a Long board for a friend so have been known to dust it off in the normal folly beach slop.


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb