A Final Few Days "at Sea"

Published: September 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Friday night is distinctly chilly and so is Saturday morning until the sun begins to warm us up. We are heading back to East Greenwich via Potter Cove and Bristol.

Saturday is a nice sunny day with a brisk breeze so the waters outside Newport are full of sailboats of all sizes. We head up to Potter Cove and anchor in our favorite spot just outside Buoy #6. It is very busy here. The mooring nearest us has four boats rafted together. After the very wet Labor Day weekend, we guess that everyone is determined to take full advantage of at least one more beautiful weekend before the season ends. As usual, small boats come and go from nearby ports throughout the afternoon and early evening. There are “no wake” signs and most boats here do in fact head in and out at reasonable speed. Eventually, many of the boats head home and we have our final dinner in the cockpit as the sun sets.

On Sunday morning, we make the very short trip across to Bristol. The weather is still fine and we take the Bristol Marine launch into town for a last meal at the De Wolf Tavern. This time, we arrive at at conventional mealtime and the place is pleasantly busy. We have duck confit which is sinfully delicious.

Monday morning and our trip is done. We head round the North of Prudence Island, pass the lighthouse on Warwick Neck and head into Greenwich Bay. Pavane is home.

We will spend the next few days cleaning out Pavane and doing a few minor maintenance chores before handing her over to the good people at Brewers who will haul her out and shrink-wrap her for the winter.

Next year, we plan to go all the way “Down East” to Mount Desert Island in Maine.

In the meantime, we hope to take a Caribbean vacation, probably in January or February. We may blog from there.

Until then ... Bye for now.

Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Tot: 2.037s; Tpl: 0.051s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb