Harrisburg, Pennsylvania


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania
November 5th 2011
Published: November 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A trip into Harrisburg, Pennsylvania brought us to the State Capitol, originally built in 1819, destroyed by fire in 1897, and reconstructed twice over, with the final building opening in 1906. From a building originally costing $135,000, to the rebuilt structure costing over $13 million, today it is considered priceless. And what an amazing building. My pictures couldn’t begin to capture the overwhelming size and beauty. Various Renaissance designs from Italy, France & England are represented in the enormous paintings, domes, and stained glass, with a touch of Greek, Roman & Victorian in the ornamentation and furnishings throughout. I’ve attached a few pictures, but because of the size of the rooms, my resolution wasn’t the best.

Harrisburg was a very beautiful city – small in population (75,000), but because it is the State Capital, the parliament buildings give the impression of a large city. We found it to be a very “quiet” city, not a lot of traffic and without the hustle and bustle of a normal downtown on a Saturday at all. Reminded us very much of Saskatoon, with a large river flowing through the middle of it (Susquehanna River, about twice the width of the South Saskatchewan), several bridges, very treed, but actually much quieter – strange!

The homes were once again large, old, beautiful. Many have been refurbished and are well taken care of. Numerous churches - one street must have had 6 churches all lined up side-by-side, and of course very large and old as well. Amazing history.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



9th November 2011

Thanks
Great commentary and pictures. I feel you are getting to know the US better than I do. I admire the way the two of you get out and do interesting things. And,......taking the rest of us "stay at homers" along with you via the comments and pics.
10th November 2011

Well we finally got caught up on all the blogs. Great. Loved this one in particular. But no taverns or just not telling us.!!!! Hugs DS and CJS

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb