May8 James Frye, PA to Alex Kennedy Shelter, PA 8.3 miles


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Nice quiet dry night. Everyone settled in and all was done by hiker midnight (10PM). One of the guys was up early about 5:30AM but was fairly quiet. I was up around 6AM making coffee watching the sun slide up over the ridge and the mist disappear into the trees. CC was up around 7AM when the rest of the shelter rolled out. All the guys in the shelter ate cold breakfast, while we did our hot oatmeal. They were all going to do 26+ miles across the valley. We had decided to do a short one today, rest up then do the 18.2 mile valley stretch tomorrow.
We headed out at 9AM not in a real hurry but moving steady. The terrain was rolling for the first half of the day, then we hit a couple of boulder strewn ridges. We weaved in and out of the things trying to follow the white blazes that had been painted and changed at least a dozen times. While sitting for a
break we saw one of the Presidential Blackhawks fly over. We made a few phone calls and headed off for the last part of the day. We did our obligatory section of the Appalachian Stream (where the rain water is running down the middle of the AT) just like the past week. Temps rose up into the mid 70s today and CC wasn't quite so fast up the hills. Walking we talked about how to shed even more weight from our packs. We came up with a few new ideas. We made it into the shelter by 1:45PM.
Once in the shelter we started to work on the weight savings measures. My ever present guide book has been dissected into only what we need. All those parts we have completed will be mailed home in Duncannon in a few days. CCs book has been cut into three sections, two sections will go home to be sent when she needs them. Some of the medical might happen things are going home. We are having my light sleeping bag sent to our next mail drop in Port Clinton, PA 10 days up the trail. Not only will this drop my pack weight three pounds in will free up maybe 10% more space in the pack its self.
We again have company that walked into the shelter about 6PM. A young man who has been averaging 19.3 miles per day for 57 days. Hard to think about walking from GA to PA in 57 days. He has done 32 miles between yesterday and today so he can make the Post Office in Boiling Springs tomorrow. What people will do to get their food without waiting. There are supposed to be thunder showers later so we are snug in the shelter. 7PM and time to call it a day, get some rest in prep for the 18.2 miles tomorrow.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb