Day 11: Pennsylvania Schools


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dear All,

On this last day of the tour, I returned to Pennsylvania on my way home, and toured Bucknell and Susquehanna.

BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY
Student Body Population--3500
Classroom Performance 93% in top quarter of high school class
Mid 50% Test Scores (if required) 1230-1400
% Out of State 77%
% Male 50%

This beautiful, well maintained campus reminded me of Wake Forest in its architecture, its students and its objectives. I met with Carol Gadd, associate director of Bucknell’s admissions office, prior to the 8:30 am information session, and then joined part of the campus tour. I only wish I could have stayed longer!

Many students who attend Bucknell seem to be the product of several generations of family members who have attended the school. Alumni pride and money donated to the school are obvious from the outstanding facilities I observed. The location, too, of Lewisburg, seems ideal. The small town is relatively close to the university and is within a few short hours of the major cities (DC, Philadelphia, New York and Boston).

Information Session and Tour (random facts collected)

Admissions Pool. The school anticipates a freshman class of 925 students. Historically, 200 may be recruited athletes,300 from qualified early decision candidates with the remainder from the regular decision pool of applicants.
Admissions is looking for 1) students who have demonstrated significant involvement in one or a few activities, 2) students who have shown an interest in leadership and service and 3) students who have demonstrated a strong interest in the school.
Total cost of attendance--$51,000/yr, avg. financial package is $23,000. Parents are encouraged to complete the CSS Profile and FAFSA to determine financial assistance.
Professors cook for students and one even plays in a rock band.
The school has two colleges within the university, a school of engineering (with seven different concentrations) and a school of arts and sciences.
The school has four professional programs in education, music, business management and engineering.
Retention rate from freshman to sophomore year is 94%.
87% of students graduate in four years.
85% of students participate in some kind of community service.
There seems to be a push to attract more international and minority students.
There are over 200 clubs and organizations.
94% of students live on campus.
50% of the campus is Greek (13 fraternities, 6 sororities)
The school competes in Division I athletic with the exception of football which is 1AA.


From Bucknell, I drove 10 miles down the road and arrived in time for an 11:00 tour, lunch and a meeting with Susquehanna admissions personnel. Overall, I was pleased with what I observed—a very friendly and accommodating admissions office and some excellent facilities.

SUSQUEHANNA
Student Body Population--2000
Classroom Performance 95% in top quarter of high school class
Mid 50% Test Scores (if required) 1050-1220
% Out of State 45%
% Male 48%

Tour

The school is expanding its residential facilities to accommodate a growing student body. Two new dorms are underway as well as construction on a new science center.
Classes are small with professors who are truly invested in the students. 13:1 student teacher ratio.
Popular majors include business, communications, creative writing, music, and graphic design.
The school is introducing two new academic requirements related to culture and diversity.
Capstone projects exist in most majors according to my tour guide.
Div III sports


Tomorrow, I will wrap up this travel blog and offer final thoughts on my two week college tour.

Best,

Kirk

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0855s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb