Lancaster PA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania » Lancaster
August 11th 2021
Published: August 11th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Lancaster Pennsylvania http://www.heygo.com

Our surprise tour today with Aaron & Patrick took us to Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Rich in heritage, history, and culture, In 1777, the city was briefly the capital of the American colonies and also served as Pennsylvania's capital from 1799 to 1812.

John Wright, a prominent citizen, gave it the name “Lancaster” after Lancaster, England where he formerly lived. The city is known as the “Red Rose City” due to its link to Lancaster, England.

We saw so many interesting buildings, one in particular Fulton Hall is named after Lancaster County's steam engine pioneer, Robert Fulton. The building was built on the foundation of Lancaster's pre-Revolutionary jail. In 1763, a vigilante gang known as the Paxton Boys massacred the Conestogo Indians being held there for their protection. The exterior wall of the jail courtyard is now the back wall of the theatre.



At the entrance to Steinman Park a bronze sculpture of man reading a newspaper, it was so lifelike you almost felt like he would lift his head and say ‘Good afternoon’.



Another fascinating building was the 19th century William Montgomery House which has been Incorporated into the 21st-Century
Lancaster Marriott Hotel.



Another interesting tour with so many interesting things to learn especially including that despite Maine claiming the whoopie pie as its official state treat, many say whoopie pies originated in Pennsylvania, where Amish women baked them and put them in farmers' or schoolchildrens' lunches.

Those who found them in their lunch pails would shout, "Whoopie!".

At the end of the tour it was Aaron & Patrick along with all their voyagers who shouted “Whoopie”.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement









Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb