New England/Fall Foliage/Pa


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania » Hershey
October 8th 2011
Published: October 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

10/02/2011 Today we toured Hershey's Chocolate World Attraction. We took a ride through a simulation of a chocolate factory at work. We also took a trolley tour of the grounds, where we saw the birthplace of Milton Hershey. Milton Hershey went bankrupt several times before becoming successful in the candy business. He actually was first successful in the carmel candy business, before learning that the English was buying his carmels and then covering them in chocolate. He began developing his own chocolate factory, and the rest is history. We saw the mansion that he built for his wife Catherine. Together they started a school for orphan boys, know as The Milton and Catherine Hershey School. Later it was opened to girls, and to this day operates for any underpriviledged children. School cost the students absolutely nothing, including clothing, food, housing, and classes. If any student excells in school through the 12 grade, they receive $88,000 to attend any college they choose, plus a new wardrobe, suitcases to pack them in, and a tradition that was started by Milton of a new $100 bill. When Milton Hershey passed away he gave the school controlling ownership in all of the Hershey properties, which they still own. Every time you buy a Hershey candy you are donating to the school. The only type of donation the school accepts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb