Gettysburg, High Water Mark!


Advertisement
Published: July 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We stayed in a wonderful, albeit busy, Gettysburg Battlefield Campground. It was just 3 miles from the battlefield. 50 amps and the satellite TV worked. Although it was as hot as everywhere else, shade trees kept us comfortable. We bought the auto tour CDs and took our time exploring. I had just read Scharra’s Killer Angelsand felt up to the challenge of Tom’s historical acumen.

We toured on the 149th anniversary of the battle. It was like visiting a 25-square mile graveyard. Certainly the National Cemetery was impressive—officers and non-coms buried shoulder to shoulder with no distinction of rank. They were all heroes that day.

To us it seemed that this was a testimony to what bad leadership results in. General Robert E. Lee insisted on rushing the high ground and running his soldiers through an open field (Pickett’s Charge.) The pictures below include a barn that was in that open field that remains today. Its scared exterior wears a cannonball hole. Pickett's Charge is considered by historians as the High Watermark of the Civil War. Lee retreated. The tide had turned. It took two more years to finish the war.

Fifty-three thousand soldiers died from the North and South. North Carolina numbered 25% of the casualties. Only one civilian died, Jennie Wade. She had been baking bread for the Union soldiers in town and a stray bullet killed her.

In the Museum is a 377 foot painting by Paul Phillippoteaux of Pickett’s Charge which was painted in 1884 and restored in 2008. Spectacular!

On a lighter note, we toured Eisenhower’s farm which he bought after returning from WWII, the battle of Normandy.

Our visit left us wide-eyed, concluding with a visit to the David Wills house where President Lincoln finished writing the Gettysburg Address. A somber week for sure. What brave soldiers we had, and have, in these United States of America. (Scroll past the ads to see all 19 photos.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Little Round TopLittle Round Top
Little Round Top

Gen. Warren, Union
French PaintingFrench Painting
French Painting

377 ft in total


8th July 2012

Lynchburg
Karen, you should go to the Lynchburg preserve if you haven't yet. Antietam is close by- this is where the Civil War ended. It was a great place to visit especially if you enjoyed Gettysburg. Might want to wait until it cools off a little
9th July 2012

Gettysburg, High Water Mark
Hi Tom & Karen, We love reading your travel blog. You have a wonderful opportunity to visit the history of these United States and share that with us. We learn from your blog and give us ideas on where we would like to vsit. Thanks!
9th July 2012

Gettyburg
Hi Karen and Tom, What great pictures. We are so blessed to live in this country and take for granted how much our ancestors sacrificed for our freedom. Thanks for sharing your experience and May God Bless.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb