DRY Kentucky


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

WV State ParkWV State ParkWV State Park

Sculpture
Leaving Gettysburg we stopped a few days at a West Virginia State Park. We enjoyed shady walks which masked the 100 degree weather and high humidy. Intending to stay 3 weeks at Thousand Trails in Wilmington, Ohio, hail storms and low-voltage in the park chased us out of Ohio the next morning. We wanted to visit family in NE Ohio but will have to save that for a differnt year.

We found a Corps of Engineers Park outside of Louisville, Ky, set up camp, and planned for a quiet respite until our daughters in Bowling Green could spare some time for us old foggies.

The Wax Campground was quite isolated. We found out the closest grocery store was 50 miles, AND we were in a three-county dry (as in no wine) area! The two-week stay was on beautiful and serene Nolin Lake. We did a day trip to Mammoth Cave. We had the campground to ourselves---bad economy. The last night there a storm took out trees and took out the electric. Is there no end to this bad weather? The next morning we moved on down the road to Bowling Green and got lost trying to find the KOA campground. Bulletin: This area is not in a dry county!

It has been too many years since we’ve seen the granddaughters. Sarah and Taylor, cousins age twelve, are sweet, polite and quite grown up. Megan, age ten, is also sweet, polite and very much a ten year old. (For our friends who have shared our concerns about Sarah's knee--she is fantastic. And Megan's medical issues absolutely do not slow her down! We did not even know Taylor had broken her ankle/foot--she is mended too!)

Their parents must be proud of them. And we are proud of the parents' parenting skills! Daughter Sherri and cousins Sarah and Megan took us to the “Lost River Cave” to do a tourist thing. This cave is known for, among other things, being used as a hideout for Jesse James. The 52 degree temperature was WONDERFUL, as this area had tipped 100 degrees during our stay.

Leaving town we saw many farmers corn fields plowed under due to the drought. Sad situation. We will slowly head North for a Family Motor Coach Rally in Indianapolis. Stay cool!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

TaylorTaylor
Taylor

Outside Ice Cream Shop
Megan, SarahMegan, Sarah
Megan, Sarah

Best Buds and Cousins
Sheeps ButtsSheeps Butts
Sheeps Butts

Lost River Cave
Jesses hideoutJesses hideout
Jesses hideout

Lost River Cave


30th July 2012

Granddaughters
Hi Karen and Tom, Your granddaughters are really growing up fast. They are beautiful girls and look older than 12. Glad to hear that you were able to see them. Safe travels to Indianapolis and enjoy your stay there. Hopefully you will not land in another dry county. May God Bless, Joannie
24th August 2012

Grandaughters
Joannie: As you know from yours, grandkids make us encouraged for the future of our country! Thanks for staying in touch.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb