To Crater Lake - Wednesday


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
October 7th 2009
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Crater LakeCrater LakeCrater Lake

Two pictures merged together to make this one. Taken from Watchman Peak.
Geo: 42.9408, -122.133

Had a great time touring and hiking in the three parks. Probably the most impressive single thing of all the unique features of these three parks was Crater Lake itself - a huge deep blue lake in the middle of the crater of a huge volcano. Overall, Lassen was probably the most impressive park with its high mountains and volcanic features of bubbling mud pots, boiling pools, and fumeroles, all emitting their sulfuric gasses.

I will put some pictures on this and the next pages, most of which can be clicked on for a bit of information about the picture.

Arriving in Oakridge, OR, after 1:00 AM on Wednesday, the 14th of October, we were glad that the lady at the motel had turned on the heat and left a light on. The Bluewolf Motel was a winner with clean rooms, TV, WiFi, etc.

Up a bit later than usual. we drove on to Crater Lake NP that morning and hiked to two summits overlooking the lake, Watchman's Peak, a short 1.6 mile round trip hike, and Garfield Peak, a longer 3.4 mile RT hike. The Garfield hike gained around 1,010 feet in the 1.7 mile hike to the top
Wizard IslandWizard IslandWizard Island

Taken from Watchman Peak. Wizard Island in so named because its shape reminded the discoverer of a wizard's hat. In summer it is possible to take a boat to the island and hike to the top of the little cinder cone. No boats running when we were there though.
so - a good workout. Both summits provided 360 degree vistas with the most impressive being the lake itself. Pictures on this page are from those hikes and from Union Creek resort where we stayed Wednesday night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Crater Lake LodgeCrater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge

Taken from the Garfield Peak trail. This is the park lodge where we could have stayed for around $200 per night. We opted for the Union Creek 'resort' instead. Probably should have forked over the $200 and stayed here.
Phantom ShipPhantom Ship
Phantom Ship

Taken from Garfield Peak. The rock formation just offshore in the Southeastern corner of the lake is named 'phantom ship' and it does look a bit like a ship.
Us on Garfield PeakUs on Garfield Peak
Us on Garfield Peak

On Garfield Peak with the lake and lots of blue sky in the background.
Union Creek "Resort"Union Creek "Resort"
Union Creek "Resort"

The term "resort" is used very loosely in these parts. A nice enough cabin with two twin beds, refrigerator, microwave, and WiFi. No TV, no chairs, and the bathroom door's latch was a hook on the inside of the door. No knob. All that for $80+ per night.
Necessity - the mother of invention.Necessity - the mother of invention.
Necessity - the mother of invention.

Union Creek had WiFi and a little dresser, but no chairs, thus the improvisation.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 12; ; mem: 1.2mb