Day 3 - Half Way Through Oregon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
July 12th 2015
Published: July 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hello from dreary Idanha Oregon! We have had lots of overcast days and rainy nights. Sort of a bummer because we haven't been able to see any stars which I was looking forward to (we don't see many in the big city). Day one we got a late start but made it to Grandpa Harry & Grandma Sue's house by 8:45. They, of course, had a fabulous dinner waiting for us and Grandpa Harry gave our rig a thorough going over including spraying silicone in all of the cabinet hinge doors (they were extremely squeaky). After a wonderful country breakfast we were sent off with yummy lemon cake & leftover potato salad. We drove through Klamath Falls where we got some groceries (half way up I-5 I realized I'd forgotten the food in the fridge) and gassed up. We made it to the Mazama Village campground inside Crater Lake National Park by 2:30 pm so had time to drive up to see the lake and walk around a bit. We hit a doosy of a rainstorm in Klamath Falls and the drive up the mountain. The campground was nice and it rained again at night.

This morning we saw some more of the lake and took a short 1 mile walk at Godfrey Glen where we saw some amazing remnants of when Mt. Mazama blew up 7,700 years ago spewing lava for hundreds of miles (it was 12k feet tall and Crater Lake sits at 6k feet so that gives you an idea of how much mountain and lava blew all over the region. As we departed the lake we came into some very very dense fog which made for sort of tense driving on those narrow mountain roads. But we popped out of it and flew down the highway toward Bend. We stopped at the Target there to get some supplies and to make contact with a few folks. Then off to Sisters for an ice cream as recommended by some friends in Salem. We arrived at the River Mountain RV Park in Idanha at about 5pm and cooked up some delicious burgers on the hibachi. While it was lit we grilled some sausages and chicken to make lunches and dinners a little easier. This is a funky little campground where some people actually live but it is quiet and the owners very pleasant - plus free WiFi! Tomorrow we head out early for breakfast in Silverton with our friends who live in Salem. Then off to the Columbia River Gorge where I hope to see Multnomah Falls, and other sights before heading into Washington.

Yes we have been taking pictures, I just have to get them off the camera and on to the laptop.

As for the RV - it's not in the best condition. The roof in the shower leaked when it was raining as did the wall at the corner of my bed. I brought memory foam and it is drenched. The temperature in the refrigerator cannot be controlled so all of our food froze overnight - which is strange because it was fine yesterday. The kitchen faucet is super wiggly. When I called Cruise America they authorized me to purchase an air mattress, sheets, towels, tarp & bungee cords, ice chest and ice. I can submit the receipt for reimbursement when we get home. On Monday at 8am I need to call them and they will figure out a place where we can take the rig to get repaired which hopefully will not take more than an hour because we have places to go and things to see!!! Really a pain in the neck especially since these are not cheap to rent.

Ricky and I are getting along great and laughing a lot. He has creamed me at card games like Speed and Uno. But then he often does.

Will try to get photos posted tomorrow. XO Ellen

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb