EXPLORING THE BACK ROADS


Advertisement
Published: May 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Those of you who know me well will understand how I love to explore the back country roads and discover new places. In the past two days we have had opportunity to do just that. On Wednesday we left the RV in Wilsonville for a few repairs and had four hours to look around that area . Usually we drive straight through on I-5 on our way to Salem. The first place we discovered was the beautiful city park. A large park is situated on the banks of the Willamette River with picnic areas, well kept playing fields and playground, and a hiking path through the woods along the river.

As we traveled through the beautiful farm country we came across the Canby Ferry. There are only three of these small ferries in operation today. The Canby ferry crossing of the Willamette River has been at Canby since September 1914. The old original ferry has been replace several times. The new M.J. Lee was put into service in June 1997 and runs on electric power from an overhead cable. This little piece of history serves the local residents and is an attraction for the tourists.

As mentioned in an earlier article, I learned there are 51 covered bridges in Oregon. Today we decided to take the back country route to the coast and find a few more of these interesting bridges. Some were not so easy to find, so we traveled a few miles more that we should have!! However there were a few exciting moments along the way. While I was driving, a hawk dived out across the road and almost hit our windshield! Then later, when Dwain was driving, a semi coming from the opposite direction was passing us when he blew a tire and hot rubber landed on the front windshield.

For those of you who would like to know more about the covered bridges you can look up www.covered-bridges.org. Maybe there are some close to where you live.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



12th May 2015

nice
Hi grandma. I am loving your blog so far. I get notices every time you post. All of those pictures are amazing. By the way, on the swimming one when you said Allison and Lauren as a caption it was actually Allison and Catherine

Tot: 0.363s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.2124s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb