Portland and Mount Hood


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Hood River
June 12th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Portland to Hood River


Doreen and David at Rocky Butte State ParkDoreen and David at Rocky Butte State ParkDoreen and David at Rocky Butte State Park

Can't remember whether that's Mt Adams or Mt St Helens in the background.
Leaving downtown Portland was easier than driving in but we still enjoyed a few ‘scenic’ routes before we navigated to the top of Rocky Butte State Park. What fantastic views around Portland. You can see Mt St Helens, Mt Adams and Mt Hood around the city. I caught some terrific video of an airplane banking in front of Mt Hood as it came in to land at Portland Airport. It can be a little disconcerting to see a large jetliner gliding to land below you as it crosses the Interstate. We could have stayed up there all day but, alas, we had things to do.

Mt Hood beckoned as we took the Mt Hood Scenic Highway through Gresham and Sandy, a relaxing and scenic drive. We stopped at Timberline Lodge, expecting to see Jack Nicholson hurtle out the front door with an axe, the one he used in ‘The Shining’. Great Film but now it’s all skiers with their sticks, snowboards, crash hats, droopy Jeans and dangling chains. Nice view of what we believe was Mt Jefferson to the south. No doubt someone will correct us?

On to Barlow Pass, where thousands of those incredible pioneers of the early
Doreen at Rocky Butte State ParkDoreen at Rocky Butte State ParkDoreen at Rocky Butte State Park

Mt Hood in the background.
19th century hauled their wagon trains through the forest to bypass Mt Hood, and to save them drowning in the Columbia River like many families when rafting their worldly goods across rapids to reach Utopia.

As we headed to Hood River on the east side of the mountain, we were surprised to come across the aftermath of a huge avalanche or ‘Washout’ as it is known here. It happened the previous November after days of torrential rain. Mt Rainier was similarly afflicted but I’ll come to that later in the blog. It’s frightening to think what global warming can do.

On to the Vagabond Lodge, which from the front is insignificant but our upper room at the back had fantastic views over the Columbia River, with a balcony to boot! The diner up the road was a let down though, bad service and poor food!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Mt HoodMt Hood
Mt Hood

Zoom view from Rocky Butte State Park.
Timberline (The Shining) LodgeTimberline (The Shining) Lodge
Timberline (The Shining) Lodge

I'm likely to get towed away here.
Mt Hood WashoutMt Hood Washout
Mt Hood Washout

A few zillion tons of gravel here, free to resourceful builders.
The Barlow PassThe Barlow Pass
The Barlow Pass

Tells the story!
Mt Jefferson?Mt Jefferson?
Mt Jefferson?

View south from Timberline Lodge
David at the Vagabond LodgeDavid at the Vagabond Lodge
David at the Vagabond Lodge

View across the Columbia River from the Balcony


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb