The great wide open - Oklahoma


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Howe ... the great wild west opens itself before us and no picture would capture this amazing panorama. (On thrusday you'll see who comes for sunday roast) After a good nights sleep and a true american breakfast surrounded by old boys speaking with the real southern slang we hit the road to Oklahoma City.

We strolled the National Cowboy&Western Heritage Museum, all you wanted to know about Cowboys you'll find it here. We didn't know that there were over a 100 different types of barbed wire. The native american section is really interesting but the lighting is very poor so you can't really admire the fabulous crafts in their best light ... The museum holds every year the Prix de West for the best painting or sculpture in the prairie style. We've seen some amazing stuff, chapeau to some of the self-taught artists.

To show that we love capitalism we went SHOPPING ... :-).

A quick stop at the Mohawk Indian Trading post and we moved to the texan state line... but before we had to drive through Texola a real ghost town ...I'm a huge horror movie fan but oh boy that place gave us the creeps so we didn't wish to stop .... there was not a soul around in like 10 miles east, west, north or south!!! Jeepers Creepers ;-)



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



7th August 2009

Oklahoma
The IHOP in Amarillo TX has a history to it. It appeared on America's Most Wanted. I think the waitress who was mentioned/interviewed still works there. Note the curious placement of rest stops with soda machines, but no restrooms... for about 300 miles. You've got to have a bladder of steel for that drive!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb