Cedar Point and Amish Country


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio
September 14th 2006
Published: September 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We spent the next two days driving the 500 miles to Sandusky, Ohio.

On Thursday the 7th of September we stayed overnight at a travel stop in Parmersburg. During the night we were both awoken by a strange man knocking on the window near our table. We both were surprised and then a little worried. Shane got up and heroically took a sneak peek out the window to find a very suspicious character standing there and then a second knock occurred... We ignored him and then watched as he moved onto the next car. Shane said he was probably asking for money. Like he was going to get any from us after waking us at 3am!

On Friday the 8th of September we drove into Ohio and stopped at the visitors centre. Shane was ordered out of the motorhome to find brochures for Cedar Point as it is what 'he' wanted to do, however due to his kind, generous and caring nature he returned with brochures and magazines also for the Amish villages that Chris so desperately wanted to visit. It was then Chris discovered Ohio has the largest Amish population in the world and we would no longer need to visit Pennsylvania.

We planned to stay at a motorhome park however ended up at Walmart again as the motorhome park had closed down.

Shane woke at the crack of dawn on Saturday the 9th of September. He was definately the most excited he has been on the entire trip so far. He eagerly serenaded Chris until she awoke and quickly got the motorhome ready for the short drive to Cedar Point Amusement Park.

We arrived and paid for our parking however due to Shane being so excited we ended up missing the motorhome parking lot and drove around the whole park. Shane assured Chris this was on purpose so that we could check out the park. After a quick u-turn we made it back and found ourselves in the best parking spot available. We were the first motorhome to arrive for the day. Shane ran around like a kid hypo from red cordial trying to get Chris ready quicker and we finally made it to the counter and bought our tickets for the day.

It was then Shane almost broke down and cried in devastation. The one roller coaster (of the 15 or so in the park) that he wanted to go on deperately was closed for the day. 'Top Thrill Dragster' is the tallest and fastest rollercoaster in the world.

Chris comforted Shane and said that maybe we could come back the following day also. We headed first to Raptor. Shane ran and dragged a reluctant Chris along. Chris declared it was way too early for thrill rides. The Raptor went upside down many times and Shane then mentioned milk with breakfast was probably not a great idea.

After several smaller rides we headed to Millenium Force which goes over 90 mph and afterwards we both agreed this was the best coaster yet, smooth and really really quick.

We continued around the park and went on many of the other roller coasters there including Magnum XL-200. The ride was extremely bumpy and Chris when getting off said she felt her back and neck crack and probably wouldn't be going on any more roller coasters for the day.

We decided to head to Snake Falls and watched as people got quite wet but it never prepared us for what was about to happen. Not only is the short downhill ride extremely steep but getting wet is definatley the main part of the ride. Afterwards you can stand on the bridge and get even wetter which we both felt was necessary seeing as though we are in our 20's.

We headed to TGI Friday's for lunch and after waiting for what seemed like forever we finally got our cold food. Shane complained to the waitress who asked if we wanted more food and Shane said not to bother.

After lunch Shane braved more roller coasters whilst Chris patiently waited like a mother would for her children. On the way out of the park we stopped for what was called an elephant ear (a deep friend pastry thing covered in sugar, but basically a huge flat doughnut). After eating as much of it as possible we headed to a motorhome park.

Although the intention was to stay overnight we ended up filling our fresh water tank and trying to sneak out unnoticed. This obviously didn't happen and we were approached by 2 people but neither where the owner and we (Shane) talked our way out of it. We decided to stay at Walmart instead.

On Sunday the 10th
MantisMantisMantis

A standup rollercoaster
of September we had intended to go to a waterpark but Chris' neck was really hurting and it was raining. We decided to do some planning for the next few days and have a bit of a rest after the long previous day at the theme park.

First thing on Monday the 11th of September we did some washing where Shane decided to check out the motorbikes for sale across the road. When he came back he declared he would like a motorbike, jetski and a boat later in life... boys and their toys!!!

We then drove to a local library and checked out things to do at Niagara Falls and stayed that night at Walmart in Millersberg. Chris was estatic to find horses and buggies parked in Walmart at the 'hitching post' for the local Amish people. We went in search of the Amish people and found it interesting they shopped there, seeing as though we were under the impression they didn't approve of technology. Shane acted as papparazzi and tried to take a few photos of them.

On Tuesday the 12th of September we went in search of the Amish villages. We first stopped at the Amish and Mennonite Information Centre and watched a 15 minute film about their heritage. We avoided doing the 30min tour ($) but managed to still get a few photos.

We then headed to Coblentz Chocolate shop and managed to spend our previous tour money on what we felt were necessary purchases... chocolate, fudge and more chocolate.

We headed to Yoders Amish Farm where we did a tour and learnt a lot more about the Amish culture. First we toured two Amish houses and a kitchen where 2 local Amish women were cooking food to be sold. Our tour guide gave us heaps of information about the history and lifestyle of the Amish and the differences between the Amish and the Mennonite religions and lifestyles. We then went into the barn where Chris managed to avoid the cute looking cats and looked at the other farm animals pointed out by the lovely old Amish man.

We went to the school house and we learnt the Amish only go to year 8 in school and then start working. It was interesting to learn that the Amish don't continue any sort of higer education.

We were lucky enough to then go for a ride in one of the Amish buggies and we were told by the driver that they cost approximately $2500-$3000 each. Despite Chris' best efforts she was unable to get a photo of him, or any Amish person there, confirming that they dont allow their photograph to be taken.

We then drove through Sugar Creek, the little Switzerland of Ohio, as we munched on cookies bought from the bakery at the Amish Farm. We also stopped at Walnut Creek Cheese store where amazingly we both avoided buying anything, including the make your own peanut butter. Shane found a block of white chocolate weighing about 2.5kgs and was tempted to buy it but seeing as though chocolate was bought earlier in the day he didn't. We drove to Canton for the night and stayed in a travel centre.

On Wednesday the 13th of September we drove to Lake Erie in New York and stayed there for the night. Whilst checking in a young girl at the park asked Shane if he knew Steve Irwin seeing as though he was Australian. Surprised, Shane found it difficult to say no, thinking he could string her along a bit, but considering the topic, he felt it a little tasteless to do so....

We woke early (or early for us... 8.30am) on Thursday the 14th of September, packed up the motorhome and headed to the Canadian/American border. We stopped on the way in a little town where we found the library and tried to check out a few things to do at Niagara Falls. Whilst there we met a lovely though very eccentirc American lady who told us all about her Australian friend as most American's we have found do.

Upon crossing the border we encountered a very helpful Canadian officer who after we questioned him about the Visitor Tax Refund scheme in the US advised us it would 'cost you your first born to get your first dollar out of the Yanks'. Shane dropped the subject immediately seeing as though he couldn't foresee a first born in the near, or even distant future.

We were both surprised at how easy it was to cross the border into Canada. Maybe due to our rental motorhome, or even that fact we are Australians, either way it took less than 5 minutes.

We headed straight to Walmart at Niagara Falls for the night where we camped and got ready for an early morning to check out the falls.

Tune in next time for the amazing Niagara Falls and plenty more...


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



21st September 2006

Hey Guys,
You will find that being in Canada, everyone will tell you about their friend in Australia aswell. If not they will say "Id love to visit Australia". I cant wait for you guys to get to Vancouver. Enjoy the "other side" of Canada and we will see you soon. See Ya.
22nd September 2006

hey
hey chris this was a kool blog i wanna go on all those rides if im not to scared to (hehe)
22nd September 2006

Hi Guys, miss you both so much. I didn't know you could stay at Walmart, or do you just do it because its easy? Over here it's so hot, almost 30 most days. Ruben says Vancouver is amazing and says the japanese food is really great because of the salmon. Anyway, haven't got your postcard yet, but am very excited. 4 weeks of uni left!!!! Love bel and Ruben

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb