Canada and our last few days


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
September 18th 2006
Published: October 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We woke on Friday the 15th of September and went in search of the famous Niagara Falls. We managed to avoid the parking stations (including the apparant free one in Lonely Planet which is now $10) and found a secluded park for free about 1km from the falls.

Whilst driving around looking for the car space we drove past the falls and it was amazing to see the spray coming off the water. Shane had to turn on the windscreen wipers and people on the side of the road were wearing attractive vinyl ponchos.

Upon catching our first glimpse of the Falls we were both totally amazed by the power and amount of water going over every second. It is so much more amazing in person and thinking of all the people that have been over the falls (on purpose or accidentally) sent chills up our spine.

We took plenty of happy snaps (and once again argued over which were the best). We walked to the IMAX theatre to watch a documentary on the Falls. The film was ok, rather ourtdated as far as IMAX movies go. Afterwards we went to the Daredevil Museum which contained many of the barrels, vessiles and contraptions that people have used to go over the Falls.

You may have seen the boats called 'Maid of the Mist' under the falls, and being the most popular tourist attraction at the Falls we decided the $14 would be well worth paying. We paid our admission and collected our tickets and ponchos and Chris dragged Shane down the alley and to the head of the queue so that she could lay claim to the position at the front of the boat on the second level. We managed to get the spot and after Chris trampled over other tourists and Grandmas we both thought the price to pay was worth it. The ponchos wore definately required and we were both glad we picked up another waterproof camera.

The boat ride lasted just under an hour and we spoke to a lovely American couple beside us for most of the trip who were possibly even more excited about our trip in the motorhome than us. The guy was extremely impressed when we said we had been staying in the carparks at Walmart and sneaking water every now and then and said that would be how he did it also...

It was definately amazing to see the waterfall up close and from the water. As the spray and wind whipped our faces we got a totally different perspective of the power and the quantity of water going over every second.

On Saturday the 16th of September we headed to our prebooked trip on Whirlpool Jet. After signing our lives away on the liability form, we were greeted by a very enthusiastic Canadian who detailed the various layers of clothes that we were about to put on. We both looked at each other and thought about the smell we were about to endure but were prepared for the worst.

First it was a wet, smelly small woollen jumper followed by a full length waterproof jumpsuit and then a poncho on top. We had to exchange our beloved thongs for those lovely looking croc shoes and finished the outfit off with a lifejacket. Chris then proceeded to drag Shane to the front of the queue, pushing the old and the young once again out of the way so she could lay her claim to the front seat, which we were warned was the most powerful and wettest on the boat.

After a brief drive up the river we were greeted with class 5 rapids were we proceeded to drive into them head on and get totally drenched. The amount of water entering the boat was amazing and to say that we got wet would be an understatement. The water got almost was up to our seat inside the boat and we continued to hit rapid after rapid. Chris felt as though she had been dunked as water stung her eyes and dripped out her nose after she swallowed a mouthful.

We then sped up to the Whirlpool which is a notorious class 6 rapid but we did not venture into it. A $10,000 fine didn't allow it. Although from the air and even close up the rapids don't look that bad, when you travel over the top and realise the rapid is twice as big as it originally looks it is amazing. We got drowned again on the way back twice with the pressure of the wave pulling us out of our seats but staying in the boat whilst hanging on for our lives.

We arrived back and had a quick look at the photos (almost being tempted to purchase some) but opted for a warm shower and hot chocolate inside the motorhome.

Afterwards we headed to a Brewery but chose against the tour after the guy at the counter was unfriendly and the place smelt like a pub that hadn't opened a window in 50 years. Instead we headed to some outlets but were both dissapointed. We agreed that it probably was a good outlet centre however compared to the ones in the states it was no match.

We had a quick snooze in the motorhome afterwards (well for Chris these days 3 hours is quick) and headed to a Vietnamese place for dinner we found in Lonely Planet. Unfortunately it was closed so we headed to our favourite FREE parking spot and walked to Clifton Hill. We stopped in a couple of souvenier shops but didn't buy anything and settled on Chinese for dinner after seeing the place packed with Chinese families.

After dinner we walked around the local tourist traps and watched fudge being made. Chris avoided buying any, despite Shane's desperate need for chocolate (the choc bought from the Amish chocolate shop had quickly disappeared) but Chris did later treat herself to an ice-cream.

We saw an old Canadian man driving in his Lamborghini and when we found him parked on the main road we both found it amusing. He was swarmed by people taking photos and trying to talk to him (he only responded if they looked like they were suitable to speak with). We watched and laughed as he told off anyone that came within a foot of his car and both thought the car would be best kept in a garage and not on the street if he worried that much.

Once again we stayed at Walmart, and Shane began to wonder if they were going to start charging us for using their car park.

On Sunday the 17th of September Chris rose early to drag Shane from bed so that we could visit Marineland. Marineland is noted in the Lonely Planet as more of a run down theme park with animals but we were both pleasantly surpsised when we visited. The main reason for the visit was so Chris could see the Killer Whales.

We headed straight for the Killer Whale show and got to see the end of it which included the whales doing a few jumps out of the water. Afterwards we headed to a Dolphin, Walrus and Sea Lion show. We watched a short show about how they train the animals to do things. On the way to other exhibits we went and saw the whales again and this time got a front row position in the wet section for the show. With Shane standing (or hiding) behind Chris, he managed to get wet but no where near as much as Chris did.

We managed to go on a few rides before visiting the Beluga Whales, which you were able to feed. We both opted not to (didn't think we could handle smelling like fish for the rest of the day) but still took some photos.

We saw some Black bears that managed to eat everything in sight (or that people threw at them). The exhibit was actually quite filthy and in need of a desperate clean up. There was even a dead seagull floating in the water the bears were swimming in.

After Shane managed to have a quick ride on the only rollercoaster in the park and we visitied the deers, elks and bison.

The day was coming to a close so we decided to head towards Hamilton where we were planning on staying for the night. After searching for a motorhome park for some fresh water we settled in at Walmart and headed to Boston Pizza for dinner. We both agreed afterwards it was the best dinner we have had so far and by far the best service.

We woke on Monday the 18th of September ready to head to the African Lion Safari a few miles down the road except for one problem... Shane discovered that we lost one of our full memory cards that had photos from the past month on. In desperate hope Chris went and called Marineland and someone had handed it in. So we had to drive back to Niagara and pick it up. Seeing as though it wasn't worth heading to the African Lion Safari that day we found the local library and made ourselves at home for the next 2 hours.

We finally made it to the African Lion Safari on Tuesday the 19th of September. Chris has recently discovered Shane's uninterested nature when it comes to animals and zoos (and anything not related to motorbikes or snowboarding). Therefore Chris decided if in the future there is a trip to Africa it may be without Shane...

The Safari holds about 1000 animals and birds. You can drive through the huge cageless section but Shane being the typical paraniod insurance guy convinced Chris to catch the bus and let the guide teach us a few things. We toured through 7 reserves and saw lions, zebras, giraffes, deer, cheetahs, baboons, ostrichs, llamas, rhinos and a few more species. In the baboon section the baboons were jumping and swiming all over the bus and upon leaving the staff had to check over the bus to make sure that none were escaping. Next we watched a bird hunting show where one of the birds attacked a peacock during the show and killed it (we were pretty sure it wasn't meant to happen). We then watched an elephant show which included them doing tricks such and painting, soccer and balancing acts. Afterwards Chris took some photos of flamingos and we saw the elephant habitat.

After a quick bite to eat in the motorhome we went on a train ride and watched a parrot show. We had a quick tour of a water reserve where there were heaps of monkeys and then watched as the elephants walked the 1km to the water for their 2nd and final swim for the day. It was amazing to watch the elephants all swimming in the water and playing around.

That night we headed to Woodstock and found yet another Walmart where we crashed for the night... or we did after a quick visit by a security guard.

Shane was awake reading a book when he heard a few knocks at the front of the motorhome. Shane jumped and turned the light off inside the motorhome making it quite obvious that someone was inside. After checking out the car suspiciously parked next to us Shane was about to reach for the knife drawer just in case and saw two guys at the car. It was then he realised that it was security and he had a short word to them and realised that this Walmart for some reason doesnt like people staying overnight. Lucky we didnt buy anything there!

Shane drifted off to sleep to wake at 5am to get Chris up (much
Canadian Brown BearsCanadian Brown BearsCanadian Brown Bears

They ate everything you threw at them - including marshmellows
to her surprise) and we headed to another shoping centre further up the road.

On Wednesday the 20th of September we headed across the border from Ontario (Canada) to Michigan (Central USA) and headed to a travel centre in Ecourse for the night.

We spent Thursday driving to Indiana however had a little glitch along the way. We travelled past a police officer who had pulled over someone else and shortly afterwards we had the policeman following us with the sirens blazing. After moving over to the side of the road thinking that he wanted to pass, Shane realised that we were the ones the police were chasing!

Shane pulled over and was shortly after told to go to the back of the vehicle with his licence and registration. He was interrogated by the officer asking where we had been, what we had done, if we knew anyone in Michigan and even if we were carrying drugs. After questioning Shane the officer then went to the passenger door and asked Chris a few questions and then confirmed a few more things with Shane again at the back of the motorhome. Finally he realised that we were not carrying drugs or a concern and decided to have a bit of a chat to Shane about the trip and living the American dream.

Shane jumped back in the motorhome and we headed to Walmart for the night until we noticed young guys doing burnouts in the carpark and police hanging around and we figured that it wasn't the safest Walmart for our 2nd last night. Instead we found another shopping complex further along the highway.

On Friday the 21st we woke early and headed to the library to use the net and we also managed to swap some of the many books we had read along the trip so far. We also headed to the post office where Chris sent a few things home.

That day we drove the short distance to Aurora where we decided to stay in a motorhome park for the last night of our trip. As it turns out this was by far the worst motorhome park ever and we both couldn't believe that the toilet block was more then 400metres from where we were staying.

We woke early on Saturday the 22nd and packed the motorhome (after Shane emptied the tanks for the last time... thank god) and headed to the drop off site in Chicago. Once we arrived Shane began preparing himself for an argument with the rental company. In our trip in the motorhome we had driven a total of 6994 miles (11190kms) and we were only allowed 6000 miles. We had expected a excess charge of about US$320 and Shane decided it was necessary to argue for 10 minutes about not knowing about the charges. Chris decided it would be in our best interest to avoid the conversation as she didn't think that she could keep a straight face.

Anyway after many complaints, including the cost that we paid, all the things that went wrong and the incoveniences that occurred along the trip, it turned out Shane managed to get a US$100 discount and settled for that.

After a free taxi ride to the airport we found ourselves at the wrong terminal and dragged our stuff down to the next one. We then found ourselves standing in the wrong queue and finally managed to check into our flight an hour later. After collecting our tickets we headed to customs where we both were selected to be searched. Our bags went through the scanners and were picked out for further inspection and we were both patted down. Chris had packed heaps of cosmetics in her carry on and due to heightened security in the States she was not allowed to carry them aboard. After arguing with customs and then speaking with a manager Shane headed back to check in to try and send it with our luggage. After Shane was told it would cost $75 and to try Fed Ex across the road in the Hilton Hotel. So the process of getting searched by customs happened again and Shane grabbed our address in Vancouver (Chris' friend Erin) off Chris and headed to Fed Ex, only to find it closed. With time ticking till the flight Shane waited patiently and then finally the store opened. However another problem arose, they don't send internationally. Arrrgggg!!! Well Shane started running back to the terminal after a brief stop at the garbage bin to painfully throw all Chris' cosmetics out! Shane was once again body searched at customs and then we basically ran to our gate and boarded almost immediately.

Once we sat down on the plane (with Shane still puffing and sweating) we were both finally happy to be leaving the airport.

Overall we both agreed the motorhome was a very convenient way to travel around the states. We were however both extremely happy to be out of it. It is not a cheap option by any means. In hindsight we both thought maybe flying or catching the Greyhound around the States may have been a little less stressful but its a lesson learnt.

Either way we were on our way to Vancouver and Shane was starting to get excited about Whistler...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb