Biking Ohio to Erie Trail


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Xenia
September 16th 2012
Published: September 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Ohio to Erie Trail







Text and Photos last updated: September 212

Number of times we have biked this trail: 2





Location: Cincinnati to Cleveland Ohio

Distance: 650 kilometres

Distance markers: for separate trails

Surface: asphalt

Width: 3 metres

Grade: Flat

Conditions of trail:Very good

Parking: many staging areas

Water: at staging areas

Washrooms: at staging areas

Garbage containers: at staging areas

Rest Areas: staging areas

Trail marking: yes



Ohio to Erie Trail (also Prairie Grass Trail)



The Ohio to Erie Trail is almost complete and will result in a trail of 400 miles (650 km) connecting the Ohio River in Cincinnati to Lake Erie in Cleveland

Xenia (east of Dayton) is the hub of at least 4 major and many smaller trails in this area.



The staging area in Xenia is a restored railway station, with rest rooms and water and lots of parking. The station is on Miami Avenue (US 68 and US 42) Look for the B&O caboose.



We have only biked a small portion of this trail (from Xenia to London) or about 30 miles (about 50 km)



This is a straight trail that runs alongside highway 42 as it passes through rural landscape with huge fields of corn (to the horizon!) and soya fields. Wildflowers are in profusion.



Benches and signs are located only near each of the towns. The ride to Cedarville includes some shade while the rest of the ride to London has very little shade.



It is 8 miles (13 km) from Xenia to Cedarville. There is a staging area with washrooms on SR 72. Cedarville has restaurants (Library right on the trail) and other services.



From Cedarville to South Charleston it is 10 miles or 16 km miles. Massie Park, on the trail (with porta potty) is a good area to rest. The ride to South Charleston very closely parallels highway 42 and corn fields as far as you can see.



The trail “ends” at South Charleston’s Station with parking, shade trees and washrooms. The station is on Mound Street.



To continue with the trail from the station, turn right (east) on Mound Street, go through the lights to the end of the street and turn right on Washington Street. The trail picks up again about 200 metres away. This is not well signed at all but following these directions makes it pretty easy.



The next section goes to London. This section has very little shade. For a few km it parallels railway tracks and industrial plants and then you are once again into open rural country with corn and soya bean fields. To London it is about 11 miles or 18 km.



Benches and signs are to be found only near the two towns. Water, bathrooms, covered shelter, parking and information is available directly on the trail outside of London. Staging area is behind the Madison County Seniors Centre at 280 W High Street (highway 42)


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb