Rural Meanderings


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Oxford
June 27th 2017
Published: June 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

After going out for dinner for my birthday we had to find somewhere to stay for the night. This didn't go well. We ended up driving about 16km of our next ride leg before pulling over at a rubbish removal business and parking in his carpark. Not ideal!
Up at 5:30am and it's still dark due to changing time zone, and it's actually cold. Riding before 7am and Tom is in a hurry to find a petrol station. Nature is calling and we feel it would be better if he did not avail himself of the RV Toilet. The road surface was quite rough this morning, and early on there was still a blanket of mist around until the sun managed to burn it off. The eastern part of the USA is much more densely populated than the west and we see towns much more frequently. I know we are getting towards civilisation as I saw 3 golf courses today, more than I have seen so far in total. We have the wind at our backs again today and the temperature again is mild, perfect for riding. We have a few rolling hills again today but nothing that causes us any seriously hard work. Jeff did miss a turn while he was driving which put us slightly off course. When we corrected we ended up going through a magnificent rural road. Winding lanes with trees hanging over, beautiful brooks running off, farm houses and small communities. We rejoined our course at Brookville, where I had the boys follow me in the van as there were a number of turns to negotiate through town. When I got to the other side of town Dave was right behind me but Tom and Jeff were nowhere to be seen. It seems they lost sight of Dave and got lost. They found a main corner in town and then just waited. Eventually I did a lap of town, found them and put them back on course. We then made our way to into Ohio and to the town of Oxford. No RV parks there so we had to drive to a state forest camping area. In getting there we went through a magnificent covered bridge. The workmanship gone into constructing it was amazing. The camping area is just about perfect. We have all our facilities except WiFi. We have finished reasonably early for the day so have time to relax a bit before doing the regulation washing of clothes and ourselves before cooking dinner. We indulge in some route planning as we look ahead and see how tantalisingly close we are to completing our journey. Not counting our chickens just yet though.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Still no Homer or BartStill no Homer or Bart
Still no Homer or Bart

This is the third Spring field we've been through.
Any which way you canAny which way you can
Any which way you can

This Jeff trying to stop water gushing out the pipe before we worked out how to use the special tap


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb