Five Tips To Make Sure You Don't Look Like A Lost Tourist When Visiting NYC


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Columbus
December 3rd 2015
Published: December 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

In the Big Apple, you’ll see plenty of wide-eyed tourists, dazzled by the lights and skyscrapers, maybe even wearing fanny packs and I Heart NYC t-shirts. If a goal for your visit, however, is to seem like you belong in New York, to appear as though you’re an organic part of the urban fabric, here are a few tips for you.



Don’t Keep your Map or Travel Guide Exposed

If you need to check a travel guide or a map, do so discreetly. Better yet, use your phone’s map or memorize your route before you leave your accommodations. Even better yet, wander around and talk to the locals. New York is great for wandering. You’ll find something amazing everywhere you look. And if you do need to check a map in the open, do it with confidence. Even New Yorkers get lost in their megalopolis sometimes, and talking to locals can give you great recommendations for food.



Walk at a Brisk Pace and Don’t Block the Sidewalk

New Yorkers typically walk quickly and understand that if they need to stop on the sidewalk that they should step to the side. Stop in the middle of the sidewalk and see how many times you get bumped into.



Don’t Spend all Your Time Looking Up

Take in all the vivid sights, sounds, and smells of New York, but do so in a way that you seem like you’ve seen it all before. Appreciate but don’t gawk. Constantly craning your neck to look at the lofty structures all around you is a surefire way to stick out. You may find little treasure you love about the city you wouldn’t notice otherwise.



Dress the Part

Do not walk around New York wearing the same outfit you have on when you’re at home watching TV on Tuesday nights. The city has a plethora of designer clothing stores ranging from the massive to small boutiques. Take advantage and dress in style. This doesn’t have to be a budget breaker either. By using online coupons from websites like Discountrue, you can find quality clothing at a great price.



Learn how to Catch a Cab

Just stand on the edge of the sidewalk or even step out into the street a bit and lift up that hand. Be insistent if you have to. Eventually, a cab will stop. The streets are choked with them, so there’s no lack of supply.



Above all, New York is a wonderland for the traveler. From foods of all types to exciting markets and shops to world-class museums to glorious outdoor spaces and more, New York can cater to the tastes of just about anyone.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb