Arrived Home Via Rt 66


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Columbus
March 26th 2018
Published: March 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Well we reached the end of an extraordinary 17000+ mile journey across this beautiful country of ours. Starting in August we crossed 28 states, visited 10 national parks, countless state parks/national monuments and museums...while camping along rivers, beside streams, within ancient lava flows, on mountain tops, below sea level playas, in deserts, forests, prairies, and along both oceans with sun rise above the Atlantic and set over the Pacific. We saw how the poorest of people live in the Slabs, the richest in Monterey, and the imprisoned in Alcatraz...we saw great human creations an even greater natural ones. After leaving Las Vegas as our final significant stop, we began a 7-day-2,000+ mile trip home along the path of Route 66 where we saw some cools stuff and camped within an ancient lava flow, but for the most part we just and drove, drove and drove.

I think there's time in all trips when you wake up and say, "it's time to go home"...we hit that point about a week ago and started out on our 7-day marathon drive home...interrupted only by an RV repair and short stay hotel stay. We were blessed with some very nice roadways and cursed by
Safari Motel LobbySafari Motel LobbySafari Motel Lobby

Coolest motel lobby ever. Check out the items inside.
the opposite. While NY, CT, PA, and LA all had roads bad enough to shake your teeth loose, it was Indiana that takes the prize for bad roads...we seriously thought the RV was going to come apart along roads with potholes that could be easily compared to ditches. In the other states you could attempt to miss a pothole, in Indiana you take the hit and they just kept coming.

We are thankful for the safe return from our 40th anniversary trip! We'll continue to celebrate this milestone year with our return to Maine this spring, attending Justin's Doctoral Graduation, and spending more time with family and a little less in travel. Although still recovering from the rigors of travel, we're already planning the next adventure along the route from Maine to the Northern Pacific for Summer 2019 :-)

We appreciate all who followed along through this blog and the prayers for our safe return. We hope to see you all soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Route 66 IndianRoute 66 Indian
Route 66 Indian

In front of an indian jewelry store.
TucumcariTucumcari
Tucumcari

Tucumcari is famous for their RT 66 murals.
Free 72oz SteakFree 72oz Steak
Free 72oz Steak

Catch, you have to eat it all..really big potato, salad and sides. Not too many are successful.


28th March 2018

Enjoyed your blogs
Glad you made it home safely. Was an exciting adventure you took. Anxious for a few of our own down the road.
28th March 2018

Back Home
I’m glad you enjoyed the blog. Maybe they’ll help when you plan your future travels. We hope for another trip next year, but I think two months on the road will be enough next time.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb