Another fun journey has ended


Advertisement
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Moon RockMoon RockMoon Rock

They have a moon rock from Apollo 11 on display. In the background you can see one of the cameras they carried into space in another display case.
I’m sure by now you figured out I didn’t get an entry posted Saturday evening! All good things must come to an end and that holds true for this journey to the Motor City.

As I ended the last entry, we were preparing to journey into Space - The Final Frontier! Friday morning we helped them open the Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum in Wapakoneta, OH. First we watched a great video recapping the Apollo 11 mission and then explored the great museum. Before leaving town, we drove by Neil Armstrong’s boyhood home.

We then blasted off to Springfield, Ohio, and visited Mershon’s World of Cars. They had a nice variety of Corvettes and other classic cars. We were a little disappointed in their showroom layout. The vehicles were packed in so tightly that you couldn’t really enjoy looking at them and seeing details in different models.

Our next stop was Newport, KY, just across the river from Cincinnati. In fact, there is a 100 year old bridge there which crosses the Ohio River and connects Newport with Cincinnati. It has been made into a marvelous pedestrian bridge. We finally found a place to anchor two
Chain saw artisanChain saw artisanChain saw artisan

This gentleman was demonstrating his craft in front of the Kentucky Artisan Center. He carves things out of cedar logs with his chain saw.
RVs in town and had dinner at the Hofbrauhaus. Then we sailed through rain down to Crittenden, KY and stayed at the same campground where we stopped the 1st night of our trip. We were lulled to sleep by rain on the roof.

Saturday the tour guide (J&T) had the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington on the schedule. We had been there while in Lexington in 2004 at the Corvair convention, so I decided to head on down to Renfro Valley to visit a museum there instead. They galloped off the interstate just north of Lexington and I motored on southbound.

J&T had a great time at the Horse Park. http://www.kyhorsepark.com

I stopped at the Kentucky Artisan Center in Berea (which I didn’t get to see last month when I was there) http://www.kentuckyartisancenter.ky.gov and then went to the Kentucky Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Renfro Valley. It was about a mile from our campground. http://www.kentuckymusicmuseum.com

We rolled into the KOA within 15 minutes of each other. Toni fixed us a nice early dinner and our hosts at the campground shuttled us down the road to the Barn Dance at Renfro Valley. We had a
Barn DanceBarn DanceBarn Dance

One of the groups who sang Saturday night at the Barn Dance.
blast. The barn dance began on November 4, 1939. http://www.renfrovalley.com

After the barn dance, we had our final fireside chat of the trip and recapped the events of the day and week. Rain kept us from enjoying a campfire on Friday evening.

Today (Sunday) we headed for home in the mountains of NC. For lunch we stopped at Buddy’s BBQ on the north side of Knoxville. It’s a regular stop for us when we are on I-75. Jeff has a great ability to find good BBQ joints. We then made a stop at Camping World in Knoxville and rolled on home. Ran into a heavy downpour about 30 miles from home. It was a gully washer but we made it safely through. We have finally gotten some much needed rain here in Western North Carolina in the last few days.

So with that, I’ll upload a few images from the last days of the journey and wrap this trip up. Thanks so much for checking in and following along with us. I’ll talk to you along the way on my next journey.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Wapakoneta KOAWapakoneta KOA
Wapakoneta KOA

This is a view of our WONDERFUL KOA campground in Wapakoneta, OH. It was right across the interstate from the Armstrong Air and Space Museum.
F5DF5D
F5D

Neil Armstrong flew this F5D from 1960 to 1962. You can see our rigs in the background behind the airplane.
Armstrong MuseumArmstrong Museum
Armstrong Museum

This is the outside of the Armstrong Air and Space Museum. I would like to go back sometime when the moon rises above the building. They had some great images inside the museum of the moon rise over the museum.
airplane and space capsuleairplane and space capsule
airplane and space capsule

Here is a view of the museum showing the Aeronca Champion Neil Armstrong flew in 1946 when he was getting his private pilot's license at age 16. They also have a Gemini Space capsule on display.
Another JudgeAnother Judge
Another Judge

As my Dad would say, I was a "Day late and a Dollar short!" Got to see another 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge - my dream muscle car. But it was sold - not that I could afford to buy one like this. I'd settle for a nice driver, not a trailer queen show car.
Kentucky Artisan CenterKentucky Artisan Center
Kentucky Artisan Center

Berea, KY. They have a great selection of local arts and crafts for sale here as well as information on the area and displays.
Pickin' and Grinnin'Pickin' and Grinnin'
Pickin' and Grinnin'

Another group who played some great blue grass music at the Barn Dance.


Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb