Lake Toxaway, NC


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Coco's First TunnelCoco's First TunnelCoco's First Tunnel

First interstate tunnel in the bus
Drove into NC on a mountainous section of highway, went through our first Interstate tunnel. The last 10 miles to Outdoor Resorts at Lake Toxaway was quite treacherous - winding, two-lane road with practically no shoulder - hairpin curves up and down the mountain. Alan did quite well getting us there. Stayed for 7 days and really enjoyed the area. Lovely resort with paved sites, pool, hot tub, 9-hole golf course, lots of flowers. Took side trips to nearby towns Cashiers and Highlands. Bought sourwood honey, South Carolina peaches, blackberry syrup, and a pair of hiking shoes!

Drove into Asheville to see the Biltmore Estate. Old George Vanderbilt surely knew a thing or two about building a house! We did a wine tasting and bought some wine for the road (of course, not while driving!). On Fri. night, we were invited to the Toxaway Community Center. Ladies of the community serve dinner ($6 per person), and then various musicians (real and imagined) took to the stage for some pickin' and grinning', country music and bluegrass. It was quite fun. We didn't take our camera however, so you'll have to believe us!

Saw more beautiful waterfalls, and the weather cooled
Whitewater FallsWhitewater FallsWhitewater Falls

411 feet of cascading water. We had to walk down 156 steps to get here, and back up too.
off quite a bit. Had a day of rain on Sunday. Highs in the 70s, lows at night in the high 50s/low 60s. Definitely window opening weather, don't think we used the air conditioning the whole time we were there! We did enjoy the hot tub a couple of evenings.

Now overnighting in a parking lot at Camping World in Statesville, NC. Will have them look at our backup camera display screen tomorrow morning, hopefully it is an easy fix. Nite, nite.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Biltmore EstateBiltmore Estate
Biltmore Estate

Anyone in the market for a retirement home?
Double DsDouble Ds
Double Ds

We did NOT stay here.
Outdoor ResortsOutdoor Resorts
Outdoor Resorts

We did stay here. Beautiful.
Our site at Lake ToxowayOur site at Lake Toxoway
Our site at Lake Toxoway

A great site with cool breezes. Flowers, trees, waterfalls, and a golf course, too.


22nd June 2005

Hysterical!
Just read the whole blog. Typical "Coconuts" humor I guess. ha ha! I will keep tuning in for updates. Just agree that you will not post drunken pictures of me and my friends on the 4th of July!!
25th June 2005

Great action shots! Lookin' good as always. Everywhere you have been looks so beautiful. Glad I can vacation vicariously through you! We are taking the kids back to Sea World 4th of July weekend. Take care.
29th June 2005

Looks like you are adapting well to the new lifestyle (3 cheers to you both). Love the pics and the travel updates! Now for a 401(k) question............. Travel safe!!

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb