Wilmington Campout


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Wilmington
September 4th 2019
Published: September 4th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Dates: Aug. 17 - 26, 2019



Trip Highlights:

Wilmington waterfront riverwalk

Airlie Gardens

Wrightsville, Kure, and Carolina Beaches

Fort Fisher - Southport Ferry

Wine Tasting at Wine Samplers



Recap of Each Day

1. Managed to set up between periods of rain. Dinner with Lora and Ashley at Cape Fear Seafood Company - no pics but food was delish.

2. Visited Port City Community Church and had lunch with Mark and Bonnie Stebnicki at George's down on the Wilmington waterfront.

3. Lora joined us for breakfast, then Nick left to go back for work. Lora and Joanna spent the afternoon lounging at the pool, then went to see a movie, The Art of Racing in the Rain.

4. Spent the morning at Airlie Gardens, lunch at The Iron Skillet (yummy), more pool in the afternoon. Evening visit with Ashley.

5. Shopping and knocking around downtown Wilmington. Lunch at Rooster and the Crow. We shared a smashed burger (more yum). Ended the day with a pedicure.

6. Explored Kure and Carolina beaches and rode the ferry from Fort Fisher to Southport. Lunch on the water in Southport at Fishy Fishy Cafe.

7. Took a walk around Wrightsville Beach Park, then hit the beach, followed by a pool visit. Evening wine tasing with Ashley, then Nick arrived and grilled burgers and made S'mores.

8. Another visit to Wrightsville Beach, then relaxed around the pool and the campsite. Nick and I enjoyed dinner at the Front Street Brewery.

9. Visited PCCC again and spent more time with the Stebnicki's, Delicious breakfast at Blue Surf Cafe, then had a fun evening visit at the Stebnicki's beautiful new home.

10. All good things must come to an end. Packup and return journey went smoothly.



Campground Notes

KOA of Wilimington, Site #23 - We enjoyed the pool and the grounds were nice enough, although a little pricey (probably would choose a different site if we were to return; this one was next to the maintenance shed and backed up to the playground). The plus side was that it was close to the pool. Main negative was that the campground entrance was off of a very busy street, making coming and a going rather difficult.



Rig Notes

First trip with our new Jeep flat tow setup....so much easier and came in super handy with the difficult entrance to this campground. We originally missed the entrance and ended up unhitching the Jeep so we could back up more easily. Other minor mishap - we had to prop up the outside water filter so it would not leak due to hanging catty-wampus. Also, set up a new screen room. Once we figured out how the corner poles extended, setup was a pretty easy process.


Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb