Exploring China


Advertisement
Published: May 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bambi Bambi Bambi

Preparation is half the fun
In each city we visit we will visit schools and community colleges to observe them in action. We will meet with educators and students to learn about the Chinese education system, exchange ideas, build relationships, and set up sister school relationships. We will be visiting schools in Beijing, Shanghai, and Xi'an.

Itinerary



Day 1 - DEPART FROM USA TO BEIJING

Day 2 - ARRIVE BEIJING (4 NIGHTS)
We will be met at the airport by our guide and transfer to our hotel in central Beijing. Jindu Downtown Holiday Inn

Day 3 - BEIJING
Our trip will start at Tiananmen Square, the largest public square in the world, and site of many of the events that have shaped China's history. We will visit the Gate of Heavenly Peace, and then proceed to the huge and spectacular Forbidden City. The Forbidden City dates from the 15th century and served as the Imperial Court for the Mong and Qing Dynasties. Twenty four emperors lived in luxury and splendor in what are now the largest and best preserved Palace buildings in China.

Day 4 BEIJING
This morning we have our first visits with Chinese schools and educators. We will visit China's leading most advanced schools and community colleges.

Day 5 THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA & BEIJING
This morning we will journey outside of the city for a visit to the Great Wall of China. The Great Wall snakes its way from east to west for nearly 4,000 miles, and has been in existence for over 2,600 years. In the afternoon we will return to Beijing for a visit to the Ming Tombs, where the famous Sacred Way of Stone Animals leads to the burial grounds of the thirteen Ming Dynasty emperors.

Day 6 BEIJING-XI'AN
We will fly from Beijing to Xian, a former capital of eleven dynasties. After checking into our hotel, we embark on a Tour of the Xian City Wall. Constructed in the 14th century, the Xi'an City Wall is one of the best-preserved ancient city walls in the world, and the best example of a walled city in China with watchtowers, moats, city gates and tower entrances. We will stay at the Tangchen Dynasty Hotel

Day 7 - XI'AN
This morning we will visit the Qin Terra Cotta Army Museum. One of the greatest archaeological discoveries of the twentieth century revealed an army built to guard the first Qin emperor and his tomb. Over 2,200 years old, the army is made up of more than 8,000 soldiers and horses, each with their own individual characteristics. Our day continues with a visit to the Wild Goose Pagoda at the Benevolence Temple (652 AD), which placed a central role in Chinese Buddhism.

Day 8 XI'AN
This morning we will visit K-12 schools and a community college, and a teacher training institute. The rest of the day is free to explore the city.

Day 9 XI'AN - SHANGHAI (3 NIGHTS)
We will take a flight to Shanghai, the most cosmopolitan city in the world. We will be staying at the Baolong Hotel

Day 10 - SHANGHAI
Today we will visit a local hospital to learn about Chinese medicine. Then we will continue our study of Chinese education, visiting schools, a technical college, and meet with educations. The rest of the day will be free for exploring.

Day 11 - SHANGHAI
We will cruise down the Huangpu River, which is one of the best ways to see both old and new Shanghai.

Day 12 DEPART FROM SHANGHAI


Advertisement



23rd May 2006

Itinerary
What an exciting opportunity! The itinerary is fantastic.
24th May 2006

Exciting!
I can't wait to read all about your trip and see the pictures.
24th May 2006

Wonderful Opportunity
What a wonderful opportunity for you! I am green with jealousy, but happy that you will be enriching our college with what you learn :).
25th May 2006

Map Needed
For those of us who don't have Chinese geography in our heads, is it possible to add a map of China so we can see where you're going?
31st May 2006

Itinerary
Wow...that is a fantastic itinerary...what a great opportunity. It will be really exciting for all of us to see China through your eyes. thanks Joanna
31st May 2006

Wow!
To be able to travel among the Chinese people and get a close-up view of their educational systems as well as seeing the incredible countryside is truly wonderful.
14th June 2006

Celtic mummies in China
Bambi: Hope someone on your trip will have some info on those large Celtic mummies found very well preserved and wearing plaid woolens! I know you will have a great experience. Go global!
19th June 2006

Thank You!
Thank you so much for finding a way to share your trip with us. Yes, I would've loved to be stashed in your suitcase, but unfortunately I suffer from claustrophobia - so this is much, much better. Looking forward to reading about your daily adventures as they actually are happening!
19th June 2006

Food
Hi Bambi: Let me know if you need a care food package. I'm sure the food is fairly "Americanised", but I hope you do try some different things. Let us know. :)
22nd June 2006

LOVE FROM HOME
I am so happy that you are able to take this trip(What Fun)!! Will keep up through your site. BE GOOD! Love, Aunt Carolyn
22nd June 2006

Have a great trip
Dear Bambi, It looks like you are having a great trip. Have fun and I know my Carolyn wishes she were there with you.
22nd June 2006

Absorb everything!
We'll have lots and lots of questions later, so be prepared. What would be neat is one of those animated maps with the dotted lines that appear to follow your footsteps (like in Sleepless in Seattle) and trace your path so we'll "know" where you are and where you've been. I know you will have a great time, eat weird food, and learn much--what a wonderful opportunity for you, and I'm delighted that you are there! Valeria On the way to Greece and Turkey
26th June 2006

jampacked with fun
sounds like you are going to have a great time
27th June 2006

WOW
What a great time you must be having. I missed you last week, Hilda said the presentation was wonderful. The schools must be amazing. Have a good time!!!! Pandora
27th June 2006

Chinese medicine
I was wondering how much traditional medicine is used in a Chinese hospital. Acupunture is something that is becoming more popular in this country. I have a friend who is studing it at a Buddhist temple in Hawaii. I wonder if accupunture is taught at a traditional medical school in China.
27th June 2006

Chinese medicine
I wonder if traditional Chinese medicine such as accupunture is performed at a regular Chinese hospital or if the patient needs to go to a special center.
27th June 2006

Chinese medicine
I wonder if traditional Chinese medicine such as accupunture is used at a regular medical hospital or if the patient must go to a seperate specialized center.
27th June 2006

Chinese medicine
I wonder if traditional Chinese medicine such as acupuncture is used at a regular hospital or if the patient needs to go to a specialized center.
30th June 2006

visiting Shanghai
I think that Shanghai is very beautiful city, too.
6th July 2006

MA Program Director
How exciting for you. It is neat to read all about your travels. Plus getting involved more with blogging. Have a wonderful summer. See ya soon.
14th July 2006

Let's Go Back!
Hey Bambi - this is great! I love reliving these sights! We did have a wonderful time, didn't we?

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb