Nags Head and Jeannette's Pier


Advertisement
Published: February 21st 2022
Edit Blog Post

On our last day in the Outer Banks we stayed around Nags Head. In the morning, we went to the Outlets Nags Head. This is a smaller outlet mall than many, but it had a Carter's outlet, a bookstore, a Vera Bradley and a Pepper Palace. Then it was me for serious souvenir shopping at The Farmer's Daughter, Forbes and Wings.

Forbes has a plaster statue of the Nag of Nags Head. Nags Head is named after the horses used by wreckers to lure ships to their doom on the Outer Banks. They would tie a lantern around the a horse's neck and the bobbing of the lantern would cause a ship to mistake the light for another ship The ship would draw too close to shore, and run aground. The wreckers would then go about their work.

Time for lunch at Waverider's, a deli and sandwich shop. Then it was on to Jeanette's Pier. Jeannette's Pier is a 1,000 ft. (305 m) ocean pier for fishing or strolling. (There is an admission charge for both activities.) We had a pleasant afternoon stroll out to the end of the pier. People of all ages and abilities were fishing. Birds were coming in to look for scraps. There were views up and down Nags Head Beach.

Dinner the previous night had been at Owen's Restaurant. It was very enjoyable, with tablecloths and all. Friday's dinner was at Tail of the Whale. It had been a week of delicious fresh seafood dinners!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb