Elizabeth City Oct 7th


Advertisement
Published: October 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

NC Welcome CenterNC Welcome CenterNC Welcome Center

After the boat show they raft up here as deep as 4 boats. Kind of nice missing all the snowbird traffic.
It has been over two weeks since our last update but we have not had much internet service.

We traveled north from Oriental to Belhaven then Elizabeth City. Elizabeth City has a great reception for cruisers. If they have 5 or more boats at the free city docks they have a beer, wine and cheese reception. This was started in the 80’s and called the Rose Buddies club. There are several older gentlemen that sit in their chairs at the docks and offer advice and rides to get fuel or whatever you need. The local Fresh market picks you up and brings you back to the docks for groceries.

From there we went north into the Dismal swamp thru the locks. This time of year the Duck week is in parts of the canal and covers some portions. It reminded us of split pea soup so we stopped and bought some split peas and ham and had that for dinner.

The North Carolina welcome center is alone the canal and you can tie up for the night if needed.

We were behind some cruisers for New Zealand who we had met in Elizabeth City who were going
Deep Creek Lock TenderDeep Creek Lock TenderDeep Creek Lock Tender

This is Robert the Dock tender and U-Turn his side Kick. Carol fed U-Turn Peanut butter crackers.
to go out the Chesapeake and cross to Europe. The dismal canal is about 22 miles long and we went to the North end and tied up at some free docks after the draw bridge and before exiting thru the locks. We met George and Jackie who have been cruising for over 10 years and make this trip up and back every year.

In the AM we went to the Dock masters house who opens and closes the locks for coffee. He has a dog named U-turn and loves to have company and share stories. He is a great lock master and will do anything to help you.
It started raining and dumped about 17” in three days so we ended up staying at Deep Creek Locks about 6 days. We had George and Jackie who had already been there 3 days and Peter from Canada who was heading home but was also stuck in the rain.

On Oct 2nd we went North thru the locks and went to Portsmouth VA and stayed two days, we had hoped to go to Hampton River but it was raining again on Oct 3rd.
We made it to the south end
NC SunriseNC SunriseNC Sunrise

Sunrise on the Intra Coastal Waterway
of the Chesapeake Bay but it is getting cold and if we did get to the boat show there would be no place to stay. Other boaters say the Annapolis area is already full. So we made the decision to head south. I think Carol has decided the sun is Golden. So our new search for gold is the warmth of the sun!
Oct 6th we left Deep Creek and are heading south thru the dismal to Elizabeth City. Looks like we may have 5-6 days of good weather so we may not stay in Elizabeth city very long. Hopefully we can get to Beaufort NC in the next 5-6 days.

Today is Oct 7th and we just pulled into Elizabeth city. You can see us on the Harbor Cam. Go to http://www.ecncweather.com/harborcam.php and press Harbor Cam. There is a power boat in the front and then we are the second sailboat back. Ours is the gray mast sticking up.

After that if the wind and weather look good we may try and do a two day offshore to Edisto Beach and spend some time there with our friends.
Cheers
Ron & Carol



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Why heading South?Why heading South?
Why heading South?

I think this picture says why we are now heading South! Where is the sunshine?


14th October 2010

Missed you at annapolis
Hey guys, Went to Annapolis, great time fantastic weather. Sorry you couldn't make it. Looking forward to hearing about your latest adventures! Keep up the posts and pics. Fair winds and following seas, Mark

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb