Carowinds and Olde English Country, NC/SC


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Happy 4th of July!

July 2 we drove to Carowinds and stopped along the way from Myrtle Beach at Sparkey's and bought a pet hermit crab. We checked into our cabin here at Camp Wilderness and ordered pizza while the kiddo swam in the pool.

We caught fireflies for the first time and then in the morning we did a private tour of S. Carolina's Old English Country and Historic Brattonsville (a colonial settlement) where Patriot was filmed with Mel Gibson. It was fabulous and the history was gripping and a woman whose ancestors were the real slaves there on the actual plantation, gave us a period tour as well. They have heriloom chickens and goats and pigs there that are actually endangered and are no longer farmed. It is an actual working plantation still after 300 years. It was amazing!

We went to historic York for lunch afterwards at a wonderful restaurant. The chef trained at the Cordon Bleu in France. In the afternoon we went to Carowinds Amusement Park (half the park is in North Carolina and half is in South Carolina). We spent all day till late evening there.

We are getting ready to head west now as we leave Carowinds today so we have hit our most eastern portion of our trip----we're going to head west now for the next month!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

CarowindsCarowinds
Carowinds

One foot in North Carolina and one in South Carolina
Brattonsville, SCBrattonsville, SC
Brattonsville, SC

Where Patriot with Mel Gibson was filmed.
BrattonsvilleBrattonsville
Brattonsville

The actual table they hid under in PATRIOT with Mel Gibson
Original Slave QuartersOriginal Slave Quarters
Original Slave Quarters

Miss Kitty a real descendent of the actual slaves who lived there at the settlement.
Actual costume used in PatriotActual costume used in Patriot
Actual costume used in Patriot

Historic Brattonsville, SC
Brattonsville, SCBrattonsville, SC
Brattonsville, SC

The plantation home (used in Patriot)


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb