Visit 2 Duke


Advertisement
Published: March 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Old FriendsOld FriendsOld Friends

Emily Carl and Martha in front of the farm house
Chapel Hill, NC

We left Winston-Salem under cloudy skies and light sprinkle which soon turned into rain. Driving east on I-40, the rain lifted, but showers persisted. However, in Chapel Hill at the farm of Martha and Carl, the showers had stopped and a walk around the 60 acres added a bit of exercise to the bodies of the dynamic duo. Later we visited the Duke Campus and spent a few moments in the "go back machine" reliving Emily's 3 years as a masters student.

First was finding our way through the “new” (lots of changes in 40+ years) campus and a heavy downpour. Finding a parking spot was a top priority especially with rain still falling, but the rain stopped and we parked next to the center of the religious studies program. The Chapel is an impressive building built by monies from the Duke family. A trip through the church brought back memories of my catholic past. Then a stop to overlook the empty square where Emily demonstrated for equality and against Vietnam (a girl of conviction). Finally a tour of the religious studies building where Emily spent many hours, but today she keep asking students directions to rooms and locations (yes it had changed).

Back to the farm and a calm evening watching the ACC basketball tournament. This was a painful experience for Carl as lowly NC State floundered under the pressure of Maryland. However, it was an upbeat group as Duke won easily.

Off to bed. Thoughts of the Outer Banks and looking forward to the Den_Em_KC walks on the beach, visiting historic points of interest, and for Emily Seafood.

BTW – we have named our travel vehicle. HoW is now Sophia – a comfortable name to match the comfort of the trailer. TT is now Sam – tough and trusty.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb