Visiting Grandfather Mountain in Blowing Rock, NC


Advertisement
Published: July 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We took the kids to Grandfather Mountain to see the mile-high swinging bridge.

I was a little nervous about this one, not liking heights. But I had to try it. Plus, doing a little reading online I found out the bridge isn't a mile off the ground-it's a mile above sea level. Also, it's called a swinging bridge because it's a suspension bridge, not because it's really swaying in the breeze.

Our first stop was the bridge. Driving the narrow winding road to the top might have scared me more had I not driven to Pike's Peak. After that, nothing seems as bad!

We all walked across the bridge to the rocky outcrop on the other side. I was a little nervous about taking all three kids over at once, so we walked the kids over one at a time, holding one of their hands on the way. The rocks are wide enough that if you did slip you'd most likely land on rocks on the right or left. But, that said, you're still really high up. We didn't go quite to the farthest point, but they were out there and had a great view.

There were all ages of people out on the rock, so I guess most people felt safe enough. There were also many who just went as far as the bridge.

After the bridge we took the kids on The Bridge Trail. This rocky, hilly trail goes from the bridge entrance, under the bridge down to a lower parking area. We only walked part of the trail and then went back to the upper parking lot.

The kids liked scrambling on the rocks along the trail and stopping to explore the larger rocks next to the trail.

Next we went to the animal enclosures. The paths there are paved and wide enough for a stroller. We go to the zoo a lot so I thought the kids might be bored, but they really liked seeing the animals - black bears, cougar, otters, deer and eagles.

We also stopped and saw Split Rock on the drive out.

I think what the kids liked the most was doing the Junior Ranger booklets. They looked around, answered the questions (many were found by looking through the nature center exhibits) and cut off a return portion you need to turn in at the main gate as you leave. They got a little junior ranger pin and a poster.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb