High Line Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
October 22nd 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

High LineHigh LineHigh Line

The disused elevated rail was being progressively demolished, until 2002 when retention as a park was agreed. The southern section was opened first and this northern section is still pretty basic.
Geo: 40.7394, -74.0082

A cold, blustery day today, but luckily no rain. Tomorrow we intend to catch the New Jersey Transit Line train to the Newark Liberty International Airport, so decided to conduct some reconnaissance at Penn Station. The underground station is huge, a couple of blocks at least, and it was reassuring to find out exactly where to go. As it turned out we bought our 2 x $9 train tickets for tomorrow, vs $90 or so by taxi.

Then we decided to brave the conditions and walk the length of the High Line Park. The 2,300m linear park is built on an elevated section of a disused railroad spur, on the lower West Side. It's a great idea (copied again from the French) to make community use of such a derelict asset.

Stops at the Chelsea Markets and Grand Central Station, then ended up lunching at the Waldorf Astoria where we had arranged to meet with a friend of Erin's.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

High LineHigh Line
High Line

At the southern end the park is more established and it is a real asset to the neighbourhood. It has become a catalyst for some urban renewal projects in the depressed Meat Packers area.
SleepwalkerSleepwalker
Sleepwalker

This weird sculpture is one of a number of art pieces erected this year. Great photo opp!
Waldorf saladWaldorf salad
Waldorf salad

Had to be done...


1st November 2016

A talking point if nothing else, tho I will give it looks real
1st November 2016

Of course, been disappointed if you hadnt visited and provided the evidence! But was it as good as touted
1st November 2016

And a lovely photo brother Selwyn
2nd November 2016

It was fine but the waiter sniffed at me when I commented that I thought celery was an ingredient. Apple, grapes, walnuts and dressing. No celery.

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb